Poor gas milage with whale penis intake on my lsv

94Ls-Vtec

I bought a password jdm power chamber intake (whale penis intake) and I've noticed a big difference in gas milage.before I had the factory box with the bottom but out and was averaging almost 400 miles per tank and with this intake I'm getting half that or maybe about 258 miles to a tank or someshit like that.i was wandering why and if anyone else have this happen and is it fixable?the intake looks sick with my tucked engine bay but my mpg is not were it was.any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
There is no way you lost approx. 35% of your mpg from simply putting on a WAI. Either your foot got heavier or something is wrong with your car or you even got a tank of shitty fuel.

Nick_C78

How consistent is this poor gad mileage? That intake sucks for performance btw.

Try putting your old intake on and seeing if mileage returns to what it was. Simple way to test.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
I put this CAI on and it has no difference in fuel. Maybe a 10-15 miles per tank difference but I can live with that. Also I left the bottom end of my box and cut the bottom and put a screen on it so I'm constantly getting cold air through the intake

Russell D

Where do you live? I noticed my fuel mileage drop a lot recently, but I live in Wisconsin so I'm blaming it on the wonderful winter gas that comes from the pumps this time of year...

94Ls-Vtec

I did put the factory one back on and it went up again so I put the penis back on lol and it went down.i have went 112 miles so far and I'm at a half tank.i live in spokane wa

Nick_C78

Do you have the hose hooked up going to the valve cover?
That wouldn't do anything. That just uses vacuum to suck out blow by from the crank case and then burns it off instead of letting it release in to the atmosphere.

If mpg is good with stock and shitty with whale penis, and you have swapped back and forth and getting consistent results I would say your whale penis intake just sucks that much penis. Those intakes perform horribly so I am not surprised.

Here is a dyno of a guy who tested a regular 3inch short ram vs the whales penis on his built H22. Red is whales penis, blue is 3inch short ram.

If the intake sucked that much on a 2.2L, which requires a higher volume of air, how well do you think it does on a 1.8L. Don't just look at peak numbers, look at the drops all over the graph. Now, I am not sure why it is a 30% difference in mpg for you...but if your tests confirm it...

SoundEfx

Are you driving the same way with both intakes on?
I ask because 30% is alot.

Either way, simply get a 'normal' SRI and you should be set.

94Ls-Vtec

I'm driving the same way and probably better with the penis on it.yes I'm hooking everything back up the way I took it off.this really stumps me.i will take a pic of the cluster with the miles I went on this half tank and then fill up and stake another pic with the stock airbox on it

Nick_C78

What exactly do you want us to do? If you get better MPG with stock air box of the whales penis...use the stock airbox... We can't magically make the whale penis less shitty.