Frozen Rear Toe Adjustment Bolt!!

ShinsenTuner

New and fresh.
The passenger side rear toe adjusting bolt is frozen (the one closest to the gas tank, attached to the body I think?). I need my shit aligned! My tires are getting eaten up!!!!

That and my front passenger tie rod is frozen as well... I need some DIY's on how to fix this! thanks.

mirrorimg

PB blaster and impact wrench.

For the tie rods, you need 2 wrenches to loosen the tie rod. Jack the car up as high as you can, position one wrench so it pushes against the body, and get a big long wrench (or inter lock one with the one on the nut) and turn it. Leverage is your friend.

ShinsenTuner

New and fresh.
The rear bolt is frozen to the point where if it were to be turned anymore, it will snap. As for the front tie rod, I need a DIY and I should be fine. The rear bolt is what bothers me, because it goes right into the body. I was looking at aftermarket TOE kits, do you think I could use those instead?

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
The rear bolt is frozen to the point where if it were to be turned anymore, it will snap. As for the front tie rod, I need a DIY and I should be fine. The rear bolt is what bothers me, because it goes right into the body. I was looking at aftermarket TOE kits, do you think I could use those instead?
i had to cut a hole in the body on my hatch to get the torch on it :(

mirrorimg

i had to cut a hole in the body on my hatch to get the torch on it :(
Like what Jim said, a guy at an alignment shop I went to told me that sometimes that happens, and you have to cut a hole to get the old nut out, and weld a new one in there.

j13

Keep It Clean
If you tap the head of the bolt it will break all the rust and junk between the threads...making it more easy to loosin. And what Mirror said: Leverage is your friend.

K3Ntegra

Will heating the bolt head alone (w/propane torch until red hot) do the trick? The reason I'm asking is the threaded part is over 2cm away. I'm also concerned about damaging the bushing.

We routinely get snow and salt sprayed on the road here. Alignment shops refused to adjust the right rear toe since it was frozen.

Also if the bolt head is snapped off, will the car still be drivable and the alignment still in check?

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Will heating the bolt head alone (w/propane torch until red hot) do the trick? The reason I'm asking is the threaded part is over 2cm away. I'm also concerned about damaging the bushing.

We routinely get snow and salt sprayed on the road here. Alignment shops refused to adjust the right rear toe since it was frozen.

Also if the bolt head is snapped off, will the car still be drivable and the alignment still in check?
spray pb blaster and use heat to get it to come off. And no if it snapps off you take tension off the toe link so it becomes active.

K3Ntegra

spray pb blaster and use heat to get it to come off. And no if it snapps off you take tension off the toe link so it becomes active.
Thank you for responding. Could the bolt be loosened with a 6" long wrench/quarter drive socket after its been heated lubricated? It seems a 2' breaker bar is unacceptable in this situation.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar thats 24" in length it breaks almost anything and if it needs help i use a jack pole. make sure you have a buddy holding the socket onto the bolt though. This is a good way to not strip the bolt. and use PB blaster not any other lube.