Justin's Prelude (BB6)

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
Well the excitement continues.

Was able to get the crank pulley off and therefore get the timing belt off. Got all the covers off and all that stuff as well. This took awhile.

Taking off cam covers.

Cam covers off

Headers off

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
This next part I really don't have a lot of pictures for.

Now I don't know how well you guys can see all the wires and vacuum hoses underneath the intake manifold, but the factory service manual did say none of them were there and I could go ahead and take off the head. Needless to say I was not able to get the head off since there was no room to remove the intake manifold or disconnect the wiring loom or the hoses. Now keep in mind this is the Type SH model so I am assuming these had to do with the ATTS system. The factory service manual was pointless at this point and I was not able to remove the head or the intake manifold, so me my dad and a friend were stuck, but obviously still had to replace the head gasket. After some brainstorming we decided my dad and my friend would tilt the head back while I stuck a block of wood between the head and the block and then being to remove the head gasket. After getting the head gasket removed we then were able to stick a few paper towels under there and wipe off some of the goo (I was not too worried about sanding it down as it was a metal gasket. By some sort of luck we were able to slip the new gasket into place and reattach the head.
My frustration from this whole things stems from the fact the factory service manual provided zero help with doing this and generally was not helpful at all. Pretty irritated about it. Anyways it looks like it was accomplished. Tomorrow should have lots of updates as well.

I would of gotten pictures of this but I was a bit preoccupied.

Last edited:

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
3 days for a 6hr job...

just bustin your balls lol
Make that a week.

Today we discovered the threads for one of the head bolts is stripped so I will need to get a thread repair kit. Since the last head gasket looked fine it makes me think that is where the coolant is coming from.

This means I will actually have to get the head off the car. Which means getting the intake manifold off, which means removing the ATTS unit. That is going to be unpleasant.

Anyways, pretty irritating day with this car again.

SoundEfx

Good luck man.

On a side note, it seems as if honda made a stronger car than your tools. Why are so many of them breaking? lol...

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
So today I confirmed I would need to remove the ATTS system, for those who don't know think of it as a second transmission that is on the driver's side. By doing this I should be able to access the bolts underneath the intake manifold.

To do that I need to remove the drive shaft and then unbolt the ATTS and disconnect some cooling hoses etc.

Got the ball joints separated and the front suspension out of the way. Also broke 1 screwdriver, 1 1/2"-3/8" connector, and 1 19mm socket. This car has become the grim reaper of tools.

The reason so little is getting done is because I had to go to home depot 2 times and the auto parts store 2 times as well. Needed a 36mm socket, bought a 1/2" impact socket set and rented a ball joint separator.

Last edited:

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
Oh sold the civic today for $7500. Depending on how this turns out there could be some cool things yet to come.

osiris19

Buy quality tools. Also what kind of ball joint separator did you get? Hopefully not a pickle fork.

zack11122

Using a bfg and hitting the control arm breaks the ball joint free. Easiest and cheapest way I've found.