Where to find info on "Modern Racing" wheel specs?

8chbomb

Hey CI,

I'm trying to find some info on some "Modern" brand wheels (I know, I know... I've yet to see some that AREN'T fugly) ... been searching all over the internet and I can't even find ANYTHING about the company... let alone the wheels.

Anyone know what gives?

Thanks!

8chbomb

Saw some in the right size for sale in/around my price range (broke-ass cheap-skate) that might look alright if I plasti-dipped them black. Posted with no details but 4x100 and 16"... just entertaining the thought.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
save up for a quality set of wheels like rotas or something. America doesnt require you to have a DOT test on your wheel so they can crack or break while driving.

For the haters, Rota DOES have JWL certification which is similar to DOT and TUV where brands like 949 do not.

Nick_C78

The factory that makes Rota also makes a lot of OEM wheels...just saying.

Thank god 949 doesn't have any certification...imagine how much it would cost then... Certification doesn't mean higher quality though. It just means the company paid money to the government to get a stamp that shows it met the bare minimum for strength. Much like the CARB stamps...could something that isn't CARN legal pass smog? Sure....such as an intake pipe...metal pipe is metal pipe. Only difference is one company paid the government the other didn't.

Enough of the tangent...get Rota. Good wheels for a budget.

8chbomb

Yeah, I smell what you're steppin' in about saving for quality wheels, BUT... I'm financially f***ed right now and I'm running 14" studded snows on beat-down OEM steelies because that's all I have. I need wheels & tires before 4/01 so I don't get pulled over for running studs.

Nick_C78

Rota are cheap though man. How much are the wheels you are looking at? You can get a set of rota for like 400 new....and way less used.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
The factory that makes Rota also makes a lot of OEM wheels...just saying.

Thank god 949 doesn't have any certification...imagine how much it would cost then... Certification doesn't mean higher quality though. It just means the company paid money to the government to get a stamp that shows it met the bare minimum for strength. Much like the CARB stamps...could something that isn't CARN legal pass smog? Sure....such as an intake pipe...metal pipe is metal pipe. Only difference is one company paid the government the other didn't.

Enough of the tangent...get Rota. Good wheels for a budget.
i would agree with you if its in America. Other places its harder to pass those things. TUV is crazy hard to pass for example. And yes, I know for a fact Skunk2 Alpha throttle bodies pass smog.

8chbomb

'Wish I could, but I'm a bad spot bro... if I had $400 I wouldn't be looking at crappy old $100 no-name rims & worn-out used tires.

Nick_C78

Yeah man, I would scope out some stock honda wheels rather than no-name shit thatll break. If a wheel breaks you or someone else could die.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
I personally have pep boys "proline alloy" and it gets me point a to point b but I wish I would have gotten rotas and been done with it. There German made tuv approved but I'm not a fan

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

Last edited: