B-pillar Bar

Prozon

Kris
Could you post some pictures of the mounting location and hardware? When I checked this out to add a harness bar in my DA9, you couldn't do it safely with the seat belt track still installed.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Yes, the mounting points there are fairly weak, we had a large thread on this. If you got one that works let me know, I'll pursue it again. You needed to custom fab a plate to securely bolt it in. That metal in that area is fairly thin and when you get hit..could kill you.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
B pillar bars i think are dangerous if you got in an accident. i think a cage/roll bar does the same thing as a b pillar bar. Even harness bars and i think those would be more safe than a B pillar

Prozon

Kris
Isn't a b-pillar bar the same thing as a harness bar Dylan? Elaborate please.

Anyways, when Mitch and I were researching the harness bar idea in a Da9 we concluded that there are none on the market that will fit, and I highly doubt anyone will actually produce one. The reason behind this is because it would take custom fabrication along the b-pillar to make anything fit securely. You can't simply bolt a bar to the existing holes, because they are all too small. The rep from NRG that was talking to Mitch (Quick Spool Racing) suggested that you would have to drill and tap new bolt holes, however the metal in the B-Pillar is too thin to tap.

I think the only "safe" way to do it would to be weld a support onto the B-Pillar that has nuts welded onto the backside. Maybe a "sandwich" plate kind of setup. It wouldn't be easy, but it's about all you can do. If you actually do make custom plates to set up on your b-pillar, NRG makes a harness bar that is very close to the measurements needed. The difference could be made up by the mounting plates.

So my guess is that the "b pillar bar" or "harness bar" in the picture would be very unsafe and not actually pass a tech inspection.

dylan112i

Right Lane Roller
I will agree that they Could be dangerous, but it is just there for looks along with the harness. I have a real seatbelt that is used everytime I drive. I have this in here because they don't make them for DAs.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i think the Sparco harness bar goes back more than the B pillar allowing for a better driving position.Plus a B pilar is not a harness bar because a harness bar has brackets for the harness to go and it will not slide out where as the other ones might causing some problems ie choking the FIA is around for a reason not just to make money but to keep you alive.

Prozon

Kris
So the difference is mounting brackets for the harness? I assume the b-pillar bar is just a... bar? Lol.

And OP, you have a b-pillar bar in with harnesses you don't use? I find that very hard to believe. I figure you're just trying to cover your tracks now. If you just want additions to the car that don't serve a function then you should hit up autozone for some magnet hood scoops or go buy a giant park bench wing..

No sense having a non-functioning harness in the car..

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
b pillar supports teh B pillar from flexing, a roll bar would do the same as it connects the rear strut tower to the c pillar area reducing flex. I see it as a cheap alternative to a roll bar/cage. this is my conclusion

dylan112i

Right Lane Roller
You can think what you want it isn't used as harness bar I know better than that I'm in the process of making a C-pillar and a rear strut bar and then I want to tie them all together. I just think it would be cooler to fabricate them myself than to go and buy something that anybody can get.