flywheel-stock vs light weight

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
Definitely go with a lighter flywheel. ACT, Exedy, OEM ITR... Take your pick. Make sure you get a proper clutch too.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
OEM ITR with an Exedy street clutch is always a good street setup. A friend of mine has the Exedy organic clutch w/ an 8.8lb flywheel on his DA and it feels awesome.

mirrorimg

Definitely go with a lighter flywheel. ACT, Exedy, OEM ITR... Take your pick. Make sure you get a proper clutch too.
Proper clutch based on the power of the motor or based on the flywheel choice?

For an ITR flywheel, I dont think you need an ITR clutch/pressure plate, just a B18 clutch. Atleast, thats what I have...

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
You can run a factory Honda clutch w/ ITR flywheel but why? May as well upgrade the clutch while you're down there :what:

mirrorimg

Because I just wanted an OEM replacement, for cheap... I didnt really think of differences between the itr and ls clutch. My car isnt that fast anyways... no vtak.

And price was certainly a determining factor

Last edited:

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Because I just wanted an OEM replacement, for cheap... I didnt really think of differences between the itr and ls clutch. My car isnt that fast anyways... no vtak.

And price was certainly a determining factor
I hear ya man; money is a bitch. I was just generalizing - stating the ideal way IMO. No harm in using the OEM clutch if you're not uberly modded.

dirt

I'm sorry, I know this is an old thread but; Lighter rotating mass is, well less rotating mass. I'm sorry you let off the gas and you don't have that pulling feeling. But if you really want that, get back in your grandmother car. Really the less resistance you have, the better. As long as it is strong enough to withstand the hp that you are putt into it.

dirt

9sorry about the bad spelling (seriously I can't stand that shit in these forums ), but really you want the least amount of weight while still being balanced and durable that you can get. If you can't get power you should either learn to tune, or learn how to shift!

Last edited:

dirt

This person said it here:

With a lighter flywheel you don't need as much power to move your shit, it you lighten your shit(in rotating mass) you'll be all the better

Since I hate the flywheel myth: For the record, a lightweight flywheel does not reduce torque.

I prefer a lighter flywheel. It gives you better throttle response, the engine revs and decelerates quicker and it reduces rotational inertia which will show as a power increase.

The side of which most people complain about is that the clutch is quicker to engage and requires a little more slip. Many percieve this as reduces torque and it is absolutely wrong. It is reduced rotational inertia. Lighter flywheels also make for easier heel-toe braking and rev-matching.

For the purposes of daily driving and track, I prefer the response of a lightweight flywheel over the dumbed down response of a heavy one.

rwlsvtec_03

keep your stock flywheel with an upgraded clutch. On my vurtually stock 00 si I had to replace the clutch so I figured I'd get the clutch and flywheel.. When you have less rotating mass, you have less torque. ever try to launch a stock car with a lightweight flywheel? it blows. Well even with skunk2 mani, header, intake.. it still blows. If I could I would put the stock back in mine.