motor swap questions

rgb17

what is the best motor for a 92 its just going to be a daily driver i do want vtec though
I have the rare 92 GS-R b17A1 and lovingg it. Valve timing kicking in around 5000rpm. if you can get your hands on one go b17, but b18c1's are apparently good as well i have heard a lot about them

revn99teg

Get a JDM GSR b18C, simple and cheap, but well worth the money.

edit: Why do you have two posts about this?

Last edited:

g3teg97

Super Moderator
Hmm...this is up for personal opinion.

If it was me, I'd say the best motor is the B18A (non-VTEC) since gas is cheaper. (I daily my Integra 70 miles round trip to work and back home). So that's why I prefer non-VTEC as a daily. My insurance is cheaper because it's not a GSR and my gas is cheaper. I normally just cruise instead of drive it hard too. I think if my car was a GSR, I'd be hitting VTEC quite a lot...

If you really need VTEC, I'd say you'd have two options. The B17 which is from the '92-'93 GSR which would be a direct swap...easy enough. The other would be a LS/VTEC. Keep your original block and put a B16/GSR head on it.

Those would be my choices. I wouldn't do anything else for swaps just because of time and money, especially being a daily driver.

In the end, it's still your ride...

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I have the rare 92 GS-R b17A1 and lovingg it. Valve timing kicking in around 5000rpm. if you can get your hands on one go b17, but b18c1's are apparently good as well i have heard a lot about them
The B17 is just a tad better than a B16. They have the same PR3 head, but a little extra stroke. B16 pistons are much better than the B17s. I don't feel like comparing the B18C right now.

B17 is a nice rare engine to have, you can get a first gen B16 which is cake because it comes with the cable tranny you will need. Unless you want to convert to hydro, I hear mixed things about that.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well both will probably be around $2K, B17 might be a bit cheaper. It depends where you get the engine from and its condition. I'd personally suggest the B18C mainly because I don't know the availability of parts for the B17 (I think it's pretty close to a B16 though?) and how much work you are willing to do on the engine. Plus I've never driven a B17, but I can tell you from experience, the B18C is delicious.

rgb17

just so you know my b17 only takes premium. Gas is about 2 bucks for premium but if it goes back up i'm screwed. idk what the other motors take but keep that in mind.

mikeys32

thanks for all the info as far as the two posts for this go i didn't think in worked the first so i did it again. and for the motor some one said about an ls/vtec i dont really want to go that route because i want to pull the motor anyway so that i can paint the engine bay. plus i figured i might as well put in something with lower miles.