Bought a 90 RS, still learning to drive stick

b18aboricua

I just got my first car and it's a 90 rs 5spd i got for 2,350 and it has 125,000 miles and 17''s and a exsust it's pretty quick and in perfect condition, just have to learn how to drive stick better still can't find the spot just yet glad i got a 2nd gen in this condition been lookin for one a long time. What did you guys do to learn how to drive stick better any little tricks.

slikk

Money Getter
welcome .. the only way tofigure out how to drive a stick is practice practice practice..

G2's have a cable clutch so you can easily adjust it to where you are comfortable. or you could just drive aruond a bit untill u get a feel for the car.

speedracer

practice dude i just got my teg to and had 2 auto car before let me tell you its not as hard as it seems i learned in one day and then after that i got all of the little bad habbits out within the next few days of driving it...just drive it all you can

GSRawe

speedracer said:
practice dude i just got my teg to and had 2 auto car before let me tell you its not as hard as it seems i learned in one day and then after that i got all of the little bad habbits out within the next few days of driving it...just drive it all you can
sweet spot is when the rpm's drop as your letting out the clutch, at that point add gas to about 2k or 3k and go
for smoother upshifts, try pushing the gas pedel a bit (2k RPM) in the middle of the shift and keep it there when u let the clutch out. Smoother downshifts, take it out of gear, tap the gas, then put it into the lower gear...

Basically, you'll get used to it... it's not hard, but please, PLEASE don't shove your seat way up so your knees are bent in a butterfly when ur driving. My friend drives his car like that, and it not only annoys me, but scares me, because you don't have as mutch control in that position.

To find the right spot to sit, put the clutch to the floor and position your seat to where your leg is mostly straight but keep your knees bent a little so it doesn't feel like your reaching for it.

Good Luck

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
be SLOW off the clutch when starting... that was my problem. i would always dump it and either stall or spin the tires, but now it's like nothin, practice and it'll come natural to ya! you wont even realize your doin it! good luck

b18aboricua

how do you adjust the cable because my clutch seems real long like it goes in deep and its a brand new. I drove my cousins 91 civic hatch and it's a lot easier i can get it going without thinking much.

slikk

Money Getter
b18aboricua said:
how do you adjust the cable because my clutch seems real long like it goes in deep and its a brand new. I drove my cousins 91 civic hatch and it's a lot easier i can get it going without thinking much.
--------------------------------------
~pop the hood
~look by the battery (left side) you should see a clable connected to an arm that bolted to the tranny
~on that cable there is a threaded area and a knob, usally whiteish, turn that knob left or right untill it where you ~want it.
*this might take a while cuz you will be in and out of teh car a lot to test if the adjustment is right
~close the hood
~go have some fun