B17A1/P61 ECU Clarification

red.line

Hey all,

so I have a few things that have been bothering me for some time now, and while this isn't particularly critical information, I'd just like to clear things up.

1. At what RPM does VTEC crossover?
2. At what RPM is the redline?
3. Do I have a dual-stage intake manifold?

The reason for what may be noobish questions, is before I even started driving the car, I was just reading up on it and someone told me (in regards to my assumption that VTEC was at around 6000 rpm):
"The sound you're hearing at 6000 rpm isn't VTEC, but your secondary intake runners opening up, which is typically more audible. Your VTEC crossover is at 4400 rpm."

So being that I was fairly new to this, I was like okay whatever, never thought much of it.

But it always made me wonder how true this was whenever I was in my buddy's EM1 and (granted, he has a CAI) when he hits VTEC at around 4400 rpm, it sounds like a whole other animal.
Whereas my car gives me no audible difference, other than at around 6000 rpm.

Now from my searching today, I've read that:
1. My VTEC crossover should be at 5500 rpm.
2. My redline is actually 8200 rpm, not 8000.
3. The only B-series to have a two-stage intake mani is the B18C1.

And if this is the case, then it is possible that the person who gave me my original infomation may have assumed I was talking about a DC2, not a DB2.
Either way, if there's anyone out there who could clear this up for me, that would be awesome as I hate being misinformed and then spreading said misinformed information to others.

Thanks!

Last edited:

red.line

Badass, got my answers.

For anyone else who might not know:
1. VTEC crossover is 5700 rpm.
2. Redline IS 8200 rpm.
3. Single stage intake manifold.