Should I put a B16 in my G2?

boobz

i was thinking about putting a b16a in my teg, was just wondering if that would be a good thing i have the b18a non vtec right now.

he told me that it was a sohc but all i the specs that i find on the b16a tells me that it is a dohc??

Chuckie Finster

Both the B18 and the B16 are DOHC. You should kick "him" in the nuts. Who is "he" anyways?

Stick to the B18 that you have right now, it has more torque than the 1.6 litre B16; the B16 will actually feel "weaker" driving around town where you never really get into the B16's sweet spot. If you really wanted to have VTEC, find a good engine builder who's done a lot of LS/VTEC's and do that conversion. Or better yet, rebuild that B18 with better components and get some boobs I mean boost.;)

boobz

thanks, it's not that i want the vtec i just heard that the b16 is good to turbo unlike the b18. and my firend has enugh engin parts to build like 3 b16's.

Chuckie Finster

That's a negative too. Reason behind that is because your B18 from the factory has a lower compression ratio than the B16. Your B18 has a C/R of 9.2:1 compression ratio. The B16 first gen has 10.2:1. As a general rule a compression ratio between 8.5:1 to 9.0:1 is good for a healthy and happy pump gas motor. The reasons are beyond the scope of this discussion and I don't feel like writing a 10 page report about engine dynamics so just keep that in mind (and to all you bean counters out there who like to argue about everything, keep it to yourself. It's a debatable topic, I know, but for a street driven pump gas car, this is and good number).

Don't get me wrong, stock B16's can be boosted and has been done countless times with success. But stock and stock the B18A/B is a better boosting candidate. I don't know why your friend says the B18 isn't good fo boost. And again, the B18 will have more torque and as long as the B16 isn't on the big VTEC lobes, the LS will have the advantage over the B16 VTEC. Now if your friend says he has parts to build the B16, is he gonna use exotic aftermarket parts or Honda factory components? If he's using aftermarket pistons and rods, then he can very well lower the compression of the B16 and allow you to run for big boost. But IMO, I'd stick to the B18 and build that up for boost. Remember, torque is your friend.

Nd4sped

boobz said:
i was thinking about putting a b16a in my teg, was just wondering if that would be a good thing i have the b18a non vtec right now.

he told me that it was a sohc but all i the specs that i find on the b16a tells me that it is a dohc??
all Bseries engines are DOHC.

You should keep your B18A...Just rebuild it. Make a LS/VTEC. Shit check out my build in my Sig. Use a Golden Eagle LS/VTEC kit to feed the head.

B16aTeggy

lol who ever told u all ur info should die... b18 is better to turbo..

i wouldnt do ls/vtec.. seen u know lil about car(hondas).. might wanna find sumone u can trust to work on ur car

Nd4sped

B16aTeggy said:

i wouldnt do ls/vtec.. seen u know lil about car(hondas).. might wanna find sumone u can trust to work on ur car
LS/VTEC is a great build....I just recommend replacing the internals as far as pistons, rods, etc....But keep the crank...One of the best ones around. Also a bloack gaurd would be for good measure if you plan on going past 15 psi. The LS B18 can handle 10psi on stock internals....(Please dont get into 10psi isnt the same on all turbo's...i know that.) .....But I do know for sure that it will handle 10psi on a T3/T4. Seen it with my own eyes...I actually witneesed it twisting the passanger constant velocity shaft. (CV Joint for you newbs)

dumbasbricks04

B16aTeggy said:

even without turbo its a better engine... my brother's friend for example got a JDM B16 and dumped a bunch of money into it and he ran 15.1 in an 89 civic hatch my brother turned around around and got a STOCK B18 and ran 14.80s

Nd4sped

dumbasbricks04 said:
even without turbo its a better engine... my brother's friend for example got a JDM B16 and dumped a bunch of money into it and he ran 15.1 in an 89 civic hatch my brother turned around around and got a STOCK B18 and ran 14.80s
Damn thats pretty sad....Whre was he running at.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Nd4sped said:
I actually witneesed it twisting the passanger constant velocity shaft. (CV Joint for you newbs)
Oh Shit!!! hes getting technical now :lol:

try the best of both worlds, build up your LS... see if you like it. Then if you want a lil more power, put on a VTEC head. and then decide which one you like. though to use the VTEC head you will have to do a lil wiring and buy extra parts. also, get a VTEC tranny no matter what you are going to do, VTEC or No VTEC.

hyper98gsr

dumbasbricks04 said:
what type of car does your brother's friend drive? remember, the 88-91 civic hb weigh near nothing.

if you plan on boosting then keep your b18a, but if you want an all motor killer, i say get the b16a. there is nothing in the world like the sound of vtec. i guarantee you will like it. make your own integra xsi.

Nd4sped

Eviloliv3 said:
also, get a VTEC tranny no matter what you are going to do, VTEC or No VTEC.
Oh god please tell me you are joking when you said that....Oh man Im gonna let this one fly even though I dont want to but Im gonna be nice.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Nd4sped said:
Oh god please tell me you are joking when you said that....Oh man Im gonna let this one fly even though I dont want to but Im gonna be nice.
VTEC tranny as in a B16, GSR or Type R.

and why not get one of those? you would be an idiot not to

Dont pretend like you are the shit. you give off that "i know everything in this world and whatever i say goes" kind of attitude, and quite frankly, its gay