More overheating problems

Murphy

Meat Master
It just keeps on getting more interesting with my car. I've fixed all prior overheating problems that involved leaks, now I have a new problem.

When I'm at a stoplight or doing ~20mph city driving my car starts to overheat, thankfully it hasn't made it to the red yet. I have coolant, no leaks. The heater sometimes work, but when it does it prevents the car from overheating.

I've replaced the thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, and the hose that feeds into the fast idle air valve. What is the most likely cause?

Swerve

Shawn
Yea air in coolant really messes with hondas. Made my car run like shit after I popped a hose on my iacv

Murphy

Meat Master
I doubt that is has air in it, I just changed and bled the system after I did the thermostat. I'll double check tomorrow.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
It often takes several heat cycles to bleed all the air out of the system. Make sure the fans come on when its overheating too.

Murphy

Meat Master
Well you guys were right, I've got to hand it to you! I guess I forgot to bleed the system after changing the thermostat.

The fans come on after revving it for a while at 2.5k, the temp gauge doesn't move at all whether the heat, ac, or outside air is set. The car idles perfect again, I'm just glad and surprised that this was the fix.

Thanks again guys.

Murphy

Meat Master
Fuck it's not fixed, same problem except now it overheats very close to H. There is still coolant in the resivoir. I need some serious help.

Murphy

Meat Master
This is how the car overheats, it's intermittent. I'm driving 30-40mph, the heater stops working and the temperature rises. Sometimes turning the heat on and off turns the heat back on and cools the car.

I don't hear any noise that would indicate a bad water pump. I've replaced the thermostat, nearly all the hoses, and the radiator cap. I'm not losing coolant and the exhaust smells normal and there's no white smoke.

I mean it seems like all this rules everything out except the radiator. Could a faulty radiator cause intermittent overheating? If so is there a radiator with aluminum end tanks for available an AT? I looked a while back with no luck.

tamboo

cheap@ss
incorrect timing can cause overheating, had it when my intake cam jumped a notch.
might as well replace rad, saw a denso for $65 on fleabay.

Murphy

Meat Master
So I started to overheat again and I pulled into advance auto. Noticed the fans weren't coming on so I replaced the relay and checked the fuse.

I doubt this will fix my problem because that doesn't explain why my heater stops working randomly.

I'm going to flush the radiator and heater core with the pressure washer. If that doesn't fix my problem I'll move onto the water pump..

Murphy

Meat Master
Update: I've flushed all of the cooling system both ways. I left the thermostat out and filled the system with only water and of course bled the system.

The car didn't overheat at all through 40 miles of highway driving and stop and go traffic. I'm going to leave the water in for a few days then drain the system and put 50/50 and the 180* thermostat back in.

The fans do come on with and without the ac and the fan bearings are fine (the fans don't spin indefinitely after the car is shut off). Also the heater has stayed on after the flush and removed thermostat.

So after all of this is it safe to conclude the water pump is working? Also, if I'm still overheating after I put the thermostat and 50/50 back in that must mean the new thermostat I have is faulty?

Murphy

Meat Master
Put the thermostat back in and it's overheating the same way again. So that means this new one I bought is faulty.

I need a good thermostat brand recommendation, this stant one I bought is garbage.