b18a1 help

luvda2ndgenteg

Hi there I just pulled a b18a1 out of a race car and I'm gonna drop it in my 90 teggy ls my question is can this engine be vtec? The Guy I bought it from said it has 9,000 miles on it and it has a c1 type r head but everything looks stock to me could it be built from the inside out to make it look stock? Also how much do auto transmissions run I'm selling one with anti slip disks also has 9,000 miles on it very very clean also the ecu that came with it is auto can I convert to manual ecu? And how? I wanna keep the ecu with the engine if I can also What are some other things I should look at to see if engine is good and stock or aftermarket

raiderfan23897

if its a c1 head shud be a gsr head so it should say vtec on the head,u need t get a diff ecu a manual one if yuor guna run a standard tranny,otherwise u cant use the auto one.a b18a1 is what comes in your 90 teg.yes it can be vtec if your head is vtec and says vtec on the valve cover

mirrorimg

You can put a VTEC head on a non-VTEC block, its called an LS/VTEC (Frankenstein) motor.

You need to look at the valve cover to verify what it is though. The block will have a stamp on it denoting what it is. Im sure some one will chime in about the valve covers, unless I find the thread that has them first.

luvda2ndgenteg

Well the engine looks stock the valve cover is normal doesn't say vtec but the Guy said it had to look stock for the race track he races on but he said everything was rebuilt by a Guy who owns a racing company so he said he did all the work from the inside out so that's why I ask can it still be vtec and custom but look stock?

mirrorimg

Well the engine looks stock the valve cover is normal doesn't say vtec but the Guy said it had to look stock for the race track he races on but he said everything was rebuilt by a Guy who owns a racing company so he said he did all the work from the inside out so that's why I ask can it still be vtec and custom but look stock?
There are only certain valve covers that will go on a VTEC motor. Take a picture of it, we will be able to tell immediately.

The VTEC portion is the secondary cam lobes on the cam shafts. All of the internals of a VTEC head are different from a non-VTEC head. You cant simply "swap internals" in the head to get VTEC. You have to swap the entire cylinder head.

mirrorimg

If the picture is on your computer, go to photobucket.com, create an account, upload said picture to the account, and then copy the

luvda2ndgenteg

K I gotta wait til I get home I'm on my Droid but I read you can switch some valve covers mine look 100% like stock b18a1

mirrorimg

K I gotta wait til I get home I'm on my Droid but I read you can switch some valve covers mine look 100% like stock b18a1
Then the guy lied to you and you have a non-VTEC motor. See below.

OBD1 Non VTEC Valve cover

OBD2 Non VTEC valve cover

VTEC valve cover

j13

Keep It Clean
Are all the B series VTEC VC the same?

C1
C5
B16 ect ect?

They look the same also..they look like OBD1 and 2 combined

HK254

You can't put a vtec head on a nonvtec block and expect it to be vtec. You have to get a vtec conversion kit which runs a direct oil line to the vtec head. Golden eagle has a good one. You also have to rebuild the internals for vtec. And a new ecu. Just dropping a vtec head and calling it a "ls/vtec" is ignorant. Do it the right way.