Going to try and stop the rats inside my speedometer

bergenj04

Have a 1990 Integra LS sedan original 58k miles . I guess it doesn't matter the millage on the car because I have the same sound coming from the speedo as others have experienced. Ordered a new OEM cable .
Went to the junk yard and got a good look inside behind the speedo so I would be familiar and disconnected a cable for myself to see how its gone. and what i was going to be looking at so I hope it fixes the problem once i switch out the new one. Any of you guys did this and run into any problems when doing this swap?
thanks
PS i didn't go to the yard just to look ,i needed a AC knob and ashtray as well.

g6qwerty

You need to disconnect the speedo cable from the transmission and push it in though the firewall about 3in maybe more ( make sure to have the instrument cluster unscrewed and loose the little lip at the top can hold it in and make pushing the speedo cable though the firewall a bit tough)

If you pull on your instrument cluster you can pull the end off the speed cable. I probably did it twice to my own car and had to push the end of the cable back on...

So just take your time working the speedo cable though the firewall till you have enough room to push down on the plastic clip and disconnect the Instrument cluster from the speedo cable. Same goes for reinstalling take your time don't try and rush it. Might have to go in and out of the car to help feed the speedo cable back though the firewall.

Had to replace my speedometer since it was reading wrong. Also just greasing up the cable works cause you can pull the cable free from the outside sheath. Did that to mine once and found it a little bit rusty inside. Though not certian if this was after I had accidentally pulled the tip off the cable.

bergenj04

Ended up buying a new OEM cable and all turned out fine sounds are gone all i hear now is the engine. Smooth now sounds like a car with only 58k miles