custom rear 6x9 enclosure pics!!

Hey guys, so i've been able to do some work to the teg with my unemployed downtime so i decided to get crackin' on my custom enclosure for the rear speakers. I thought it looked kinda trashy with holes cutout bigger than the speakers that were there so i'm doing a custom mold and shaving off the rear tailight assembly and the seat lock (DB's only) Anyways here are some pics of my progress so far and i will continue to post new pics till the job is completed. Maybe this will give some of you guys a clue at how to make your own if you were so inclined to do so too :) Anyways tell me your thoughts...

Sorry about the big pics i still need to get a photo editing program

.Cortez

94' LS
yeah i like that idea! Neat! Original for sure. Interested in more pictures as you progress!

mirrorimg

You are forming it to a carpeted panel? How are you going to blend the fiberglass into the carpet?

I'm going to lay a coat of resin to the carpet to bond the body filler to since it has to be somewhat flexible to re install it into the car. I am going to install it before paint though to make sure that it won't break or crack during install.

Pre10nd

Could you post a list of materials that you used for this? I own a DB also and plan on going with bigger speakers. Thinking about trying this out on the extra panel i have. Great thread

7/16" wooden dowel, 1/8" mdf particle board (you could use bigger if you wanted though), fleece interface material (available at local fabric store), staple gun, nails, wood glue, fiberglass resin, body filler (bondo)paint brush, dremel tool, jig saw, and razor blades, and thats probably about it. I'm personally going to use automotive paint and clear but you can paint it with whatever you want or upholster it after you body fill it.

more updated pics of progress

So i have gotten a little farther on my speaker enclosure project so here's some updated pics :)

Body filler application

after initial sanding i sprayed a very light layer of primer so that i can easily spot any low or high spots and pinholes in the filler

Anyways that is the progress so far and i will update in a few days

Here's a couple more pics of my progress should be close to paint by the end of the day, I still have to fill some pinholes and shape the cutouts for the seatbelts but other than that it's starting to come along nicely.

I have a third brake light in the spoiler, whoever had the car before me ran the wiring from the one i took out to the spoiler. When i pulled the assembly out there was no bulb in it, i was like WTF? I also live in colorado so there are no inspections here.

Nighthawk

Goes Vroom in the Night
I did the same thing on my car...minus the fiberglass. It definitely improved bass over the crappy 5 1/2's fitted next to the rear seats.