Need some advice!

LittleB10

To make a long story short, my b18a engine is knocking and the head has one broken camshaft holder, one broken exhaust manifold stud and bad valve seals. engine damage is currently unknown until i tear it apart early next week but it is knocking for sure. so engine has to be fixed and so does the head. so question is rebuild the b18 and head or just drop in another b series engine? budget is 2000 bucks max maybe an extra 500 if i wait another month or two. However, i did find a b16a2 engine out of a 99 si locally. it is oem rebuilt with 4k miles on it. engine is complete with si ecu, manifold, dizzy, injectors, fuel rail, throttle body, all sensors, alternator with belt, half shaft, upper/lower radiator hoses, plugs and wires..... with a little over 1k worth of extra parts ( greddy header with o2 sensor, oem excedy clutch with 4k on it, act 12lb flywheel, oem flywheel, new ek civic shift linkage with energy susp. bushings and b&m short throw, b series starter, new autozone axles (both). the guy also has all receipts for parts and work done to engine. he is asking 1600 for all. Now should i buy this and swap it in OR rebuild my b18 head and engine? If I do a swap i can part out my engine/unneeded parts to make some money back. I'm looking for serious advice only and thanks in advance. Sorry this is so long haha

j13

Keep It Clean
With 2k just get that b16 swap. That b18a1 is finished. A b16 would be cool, you can also look got a gsr bottom end for that b16 head. It will pull harder.

That B16 is a viable option. Rebuilding that A1 is basically pissing in the wind. You also might look into a B20 swap. B20s are fairly cheap, reliable motors.
Also, unless you swap in another motor from the same OBD generation, be prepared to do a little wiring and replace the distributor.

Randomb18

Shit if yur b18 block is,still good take that si head nd do an ls vtec resell wat yu dnt need or negotiate for the head alone.. Its a possibility unless yu just want to directly swap in another motor nd keep it moving..

DC4GoFast

i have a car problem
Personally, I would buy the B16. From what youve said it sounds legit, ecspecially with all the parts, not a bad deal at all. And later on down the road like BrokenTalon27 said, you could a b20/b20 block and do a LS/VTEC.

s*** if yur b18 block is,still good take that si head nd do an ls vtec resell wat yu dnt need or negotiate for the head alone.. Its a possibility unless yu just want to directly swap in another motor nd keep it moving..
He would spend another $1000 on top of the cost of that B16 swap to build the LSV right. Just slapping a Vtec head on a stock LS bottom is asking for trouble and is completely half assed.
Stay complete B16.

LittleB10

thanks for the help guys! i am thinking on going with the b16. engine is almost ready to come out and then i can see what the damage is. lol i keep ya updated. thanks again for the help!!!

if you use your car for commuting, you could keep the LS tranny and get better miledge too.
True, but the B16 paired with those gears will be slow as piss and have shit acceleration. If you want gas mileage with a B16 have an Ls 5th gear put in a b16 trans.