Welding tips and rust removal

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
Hey all. I have two spots of major concern to me right now that I want to get taken car of fairly soon. I'm breaking down the 94' Integra and getting ready to start some upgrades and modification. Right now both quarter panels have rust. It's not spread into the wheel well thank god. But from what I can see of it after removing the tires it looks like it should be a clean cut with a blow torch and then I'll need to apply a new piece in.

I already know that I should cut above the rust a good amount. What I'm concerned about it cutting in too far and damaging the rear wheel wells or more in the process. I'm guessing I should set the torch flame to low or something of the like? I've never torched so I don't know the technical term for it.

Upon re patching the area it's best to do a little bit in an area and then hop around a bit and then come back to the start and keep going correct? That way it doesn't get warped or over heated and not fit correctly?

I also want to remove the side paneling that runs the quarter panels up onto the doors, shaved I believe. Should I also get new metal for this or can I just close up the gaps with what is there? I know I have to dry sand, wet sand and then primer it up really good when done but just wanted a few tips, concerns or idea's on the best method of attack.

The undercarriage has a bit of rust here and there, looks to be mostly surface rust. I'll be replacing the entire exhaust system, fuel tank and oil pan, everything in the front wheel wells will be ordered new OEM parts to completely fix these area's as everything in them is old and junk. But if I find anything underneath after removing these things, on the frame using a twisted wire metal brush with a drill is best? Then wet sand, dry sand right?

Only other thing I wanted to know is I've heard of an under coat that goes onto the bottom of the car, kind of a sealant or water proof/rust proof sealant of some sort. What is the best thing to apply here and where can I get it? What would be the recommended amount of coats to apply? I was thinking 3-4.

Well here are the pictures of the affected area's, I don't have too many good shots of the undercarriage but you can see it quite a bit anyway. Thanks in advance!

Put this in just to show everything connected to the tire is junk, rusted and falling apart.

~Dave

Last edited:

amaestre32

Pressure wash the shit out of it lol. As for the rest you seem like you understand it enough to do it yourself. dont worry about cutting too much out, and when you tach a new peice in just make small tachs first and then go back and forth until its all done. make sure its a nice weld or else it will just come right out again. then the rest is easy after that. they make some sort of spray that you can put under your car after you pressure wash it to keep the rust from coming back, look into that.

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
id get a freaking huge wire wheel and get to work then buy some under coat spray!
I'm heading this route soon. Should I remove the parts to get to them better or just jack it up? I was thinking of jacking up the car and removing some hard to get pieces and then use the twisted wire wheel on the under carriage and on the parts I take off too. Wasn't sure if I should just replace them or do this. It would definitely save a lot of money. However the hours of doing this would be long but worth it. Any other ideas?

~Dave

genesis

tougê hêrmit
I'm heading this route soon. Should I remove the parts to get to them better or just jack it up? I was thinking of jacking up the car and removing some hard to get pieces and then use the twisted wire wheel on the under carriage and on the parts I take off too. Wasn't sure if I should just replace them or do this. It would definitely save a lot of money. However the hours of doing this would be long but worth it. Any other ideas?

~Dave
i have a friend that used this method and it turned out great, your right its extremely cost effective! id worry manly on the chassis where damage could be permanent if not treated, if there are some hard to get to parts it would be easier to take them off..... good luck!,

jeff

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
Thanks! I'll be starting this tomorrow. One last question or preference I had about doing this was with the stuff I should be upgrading. I was thinking of getting a new brake system all around, stainless steel brake lines, rotors, brake calipers, basically a brake kit that comes with everything. Also might go with full coilovers since I'll save so much money this way. What about struts, bearings, shocks, or anything else I might need? I'm a forgetting something? I feel like I'am.

~Dave

Integra36

Can't wait for my GSX!
New question. I've been sanding the under carriage and it's almost completely done. What is a good recommended primer and under carriage sealer? I've heard mixed things about truck bed liners being sprayed on for the under carriage. Also heard mixed reviews on some rubber/foam like products. Don't really want to waste time and money and have to strip/sand/grind/wet sand and primer everything all over again. Would like reviews and tips from people who've actually gone the distance and done this. I mean no offense but I don't want post like, "my friend's dad's brother's uncle's daughter in law used this stuff etc.".

~Dave

95lsct

i used roll on undercoating on my 3rd gen accord a cpl years ago and its still holding now and i drive it all thru the winters and salt and sand :Dso but i think i got the roll in liner from SEM products so it is really good shit but dont quote me on getting it from them i was working in a body shop at the time and found a can of it and got to work but i just went out and looked at it and theres a lil chipping on my LCAs but thats about it srry for no pix i dont have a cam or id take some of it so you could see what the final results are

Last edited:

Customz84

Customz84
New question. I've been sanding the under carriage and it's almost completely done. What is a good recommended primer and under carriage sealer? I've heard mixed things about truck bed liners being sprayed on for the under carriage. Also heard mixed reviews on some rubber/foam like products. Don't really want to waste time and money and have to strip/sand/grind/wet sand and primer everything all over again. Would like reviews and tips from people who've actually gone the distance and done this. I mean no offense but I don't want post like, "my friend's dad's brother's uncle's daughter in law used this stuff etc.".

~Dave
hey there, my boss at work restores muscle cars and he uses this amazing stuff calles POR 15. i am going to use it on my teg on the inside floor and trunk and my rocker panels and eventually on the underside of my floor. too much to describe about it but it rocks.

canada site
http://www.canada-por15.com/
american site
http://www.por15.com/
see for yourself. its amazing stuff, but they do a lot more stuff too.