automatic transmission issue

Skull_Ryder

so i got bought a 95 integra ls drove it about 75 kms with no issues next day put the car in drive or reverse and nothing happens engine runs fine and topped up the transmission fluid what could be the problem????

Karma313th

Any number of things could be wrong, most transmission related.

If you smelled anything burning when you were driving yesterday, it's possible the transmission fluid's been overheated due to the oil cooler having a restriction and has chemically broken down.

You need to check the transmission dipstick to see if the fluid is still pink/red and not black or brown.

You might want to try giving just a little gas with the engine running and the car in gear to see if the torque converter will eventually lock up (which will kick the car in to gear). And when I say a little gas, I mean just that. You don't want to rev up to 3000 RPM or anything like that.

You might also check to see if the transmission is leaking since you shouldn't have to "top off" transmission fluid. But it'd have to be a major pressure leak to keep the car from shifting in to gear.

If no gear works at all, I doubt all the bands failed simultaneously, so...it could be as simple as a bad solenoid, or you could have much more serious mechanical problems with the torque converter and/or related components.

EDIT:

And actually, I probably shouldn't be so casual using "lock up" in regards to the torque converter since it can be misconstrued. It's not really a matter of the converter's lock up function engaging so much as it's an issue of the stator clutch engaging to put the vehicle in gear.

Anyway, check the items mentioned above, if you're still having problems with no drivetrain power at all, you may want to start checking the torque converter and the stator clutch in particular. What you're describing sounds a lot like the clutch may have broken. They're pretty damn fragile when they get older, especially when shock loading is involved (ie. sudden hard acceleration/application of power).

Last edited:

Skull_Ryder

the fluid is still pink, and sometimes i can get it to kinda start driving , not sure where to find the ttorque converter or stator clutch r or what the look like as this is my first integra

Karma313th

the fluid is still pink, and sometimes i can get it to kinda start driving , not sure where to find the ttorque converter or stator clutch r or what the look like as this is my first integra
The stator clutch is actually going to be inside the torque converter along with the stator and other components.

The torque converter you're probably not going to be able to get to yourself (at least not easily) with the engine and transmission still in the chassis.

I hate to say it, but if the fluid hasn't overheated and broken down and no gear really works at all (even if it goes slip a little at first), my guess would be unless you had a massive hydraulic problem with the transmission, your torque converter's probably shot. Either the stator clutch is broken (which would cause the free-revving engine with little or no movement) or a turbine blade's warped or brokne, or the torque converter itself has ballooned.

The automatic transmissions are known for slipping a bit and having a fit if they get too warm, but if you've let the car sit overnight and you're still having the same problems....

Unfortunately, if it is a shot torque converter, it's not a cheap fix because of the parts and labor costs involved.

Skull_Ryder

its weird cuz now itd going into gear and not reving to high and i checked the tranny fluid again and it looks a little darker then the normal red liquid it should be so im not sure if i should try to drive it for 75 kms lke i did before just so it gets to the mechanics