Car not starting

1991tegra

Da9 apprentice
hey guys so i was driving and usually if i hit a pot hole the car would turn off. well now the car doesnt start at all unless i hold the key in the on position but not too far or it will make that screeching sound. If i let go key it will not stay running so does this mean it is an ignition switch problem?

96LSteg

Jemel
first question.....

Are you throwing any codes? If so, fix those.

Have you checked to see if you have any loose wires?

"screeching" is a vague term. Post a video of this sound.

92_JDM

first question.....

Are you throwing any codes? If so, fix those.

Have you checked to see if you have any loose wires?

"screeching" is a vague term. Post a video of this sound.
I think the screeching part means that he over crank the ignition lol

Nick_C78

Hitting a bump and car shuts off? Check your plugs and wires. Particularly at alternator, battery, dizzy, and ecu. Grounds too.

osiris19

If you can't run the car without the holding the switch down, don't you think the switch would be faulty...?

1991tegra

Da9 apprentice
i can hear clicks and fuel priming and wires and plugs are good i guess it just might be the ignition switch.

lshitegra90

sounds like ignition switch to me. had a few go out in the past. the run position goes bad. it will start but die once you release the key from starting.

1991tegra

Da9 apprentice
ok sorry for the really late reply i got very busy and looked at the car yesterday and i started to unscrew ignition switch screws but then i noticed that there was a wire(stripped both ends) and it was attached to a white and a yellow wire and i put my key in ignition and messed around with the wire and sometimes my cars cluster lights would stay on so i tightened it and soldered both ends and now the car runs fine but may i ask does anyone know what and why there would be a wire like this there (car has swapped b18b if that helps.)