replacing oil pan gasket

B18B_insane

1. warm up the engine then drain the oil and replace the filter.

2. disconnect negative battery cable.

3. raise the vehicle and support it, remove the splash shield from under the engine.

4. rmove the front exhaust pipe.( took my header all the way off and just pushed the cat and pipe to the side.)

5.remove bolts from pan to engine.

6. tap the pan with a soft faced hammer(rubber mallot) to break the seal DO NOT PRY between pan and block.

7.use a gasket scraper to remove the old gasket/sealant from block and pan, use lacquer thinner,acetone. I use brake cleaner and clean all surfaces.

8. clean the oil pan with solvent and dry it thoroughly, check the gasket flanges for distortions especially around the bolt holes. if neede place the pan on a piece of wood block and use a hammer to restore. while your in there you should clean your pick up tube with brake cleaner and let dry (clean oil yay)

9. apply a 1/8th inch of wide bead of rtv (use grey not blue) make sure sealent is on the inside edge of bolt holes. make sure you put the sealant on the inside edge of the new gasket.

10.carefully put oil pan

11. install bolts and tighten themin small increments to 104 in-lbs. start closest to center of pan and work out in a spiral pattern. don't over tighten or you could cause another leak.

12. fill with oil start engine and check for leaks.

tamboo

cheap@ss
getting ready to do this, haynes manual not included as their instructions are particularly underwhelming. 8(

also:
do not use a razor blade or scrapper. the block is aluminum and you may damage it in a way that may cause the gasket to sit improperly which will cause it to leak...]

dont forget to add a dab of gasket maker where the oil pump meets the block and where the rear main seal housing meets the block. just a dab.

WARNING..... if you try to use gasket maker over the entire surface, your oil pan gasket will blow out.

Last edited:

j.Curtis

i was reading through this post and i need to replace this gasket as well, I saw on youtube that it's recommended to use hondabond, someone on here said to use gasket sealant. are these sealants absolutely necessary or can i do without, recommend a good one if so that i can pick up at auto zone.

1st time DIY'er. 96 teg

lsvtec1243

i was reading through this post and i need to replace this gasket as well, I saw on youtube that it's recommended to use hondabond, someone on here said to use gasket sealant. are these sealants absolutely necessary or can i do without, recommend a good one if so that i can pick up at auto zone.

1st time DIY'er. 96 teg
Honda bond ftw!