build b18c1 or buy b18c5

redridder4

Im trying to decide if i want to build my b18c1 or if i want to get a type r. I plan on goin 10 pounds boost but idk which motor would be better. and can a gsr trans work on a b18c5?

redridder4

if i did go with type r i probly would get a b18c. how much boost would you say you could run on a stock gsr? as a daily

Last edited:

jznsn2u

Yes the b18c1 transmission can work with the b18c5 engine. I would go with a cheaper LS, lower compression.

cborden

Jesus is THE way
type r and b18c are not the same thing
b18c is a jdm gsr it comes w/ 10 more hp than the usdm gsr plus it looks more badass
idk how much boost you can run on a stock gsr but i dont suggest running boost on a stock anything if your gonna run high boost you should build your engine but i do know its easier to do on a gsr because type r's already have high compression

cborden

Jesus is THE way
nope b18c is jdm gsr b18c5 is usdm type r b18c1 usdm gsr b18cr is jdm type r

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
1: power has nothing to do with psi, its the size of the turbo that matters.

2: between those motors a usdm gsr would be better (jdm has slightly higher comp), type R motors are setup more for N/A

NebulousGSR

Get a gsr engine and a type r trans if you can... Then boost it with a t3/t4 60 trim turbo at 6-8 psi and you should be plenty happy with the amount of power you will be making :)

Joshmmc

I'd just buy an LS. Lowest compression of them all, so you'd get the most life out of it at 10 psi. Plus it'd be like a 3rd of the cost and the LS trans is nice for boost as well because of the longer ratios.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
Get a gsr engine and a type r trans if you can... Then boost it with a t3/t4 60 trim turbo at 6-8 psi and you should be plenty happy with the amount of power you will be making :)
type r trannys and si trannys are too short for boost, they are both designed for N/A plat forms, a lsd GsR tranny would be best but a normal GsR is still better for boost than a type r or si

jznsn2u

Btw, the japanese gsr/type r = B18C
American gsr/type r = B18C1/b18C5
type r has highest compression followed by the gsr and the ls like I said before, lowest compression + cheapest.

If I were boosting, I would either get a gsr tranny or ls tranny.

heykosal

Angkorian
Why would you spend $3k+ buying a Type-R motor, when you can stick with the C1 you have and use that money to piece together a very nice turbo system that would be very nice on ten pounds?

I'd understand if you were asking between a B1 or R motor, but otherwise, it's really not worth it.
b18c is a jdm gsr it comes w/ 10 more hp than the usdm gsr plus it looks more badass
What about it LOOKS more badass??

Don't forget, the JDM engine is also more illegal. And I think(someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the 10hp gain is due to slightly higher compression.