Rear shock removal issues, 98 Teg

ispperformance

Ok, so I was installing a new set of lowering springs in a 1998 GSR today, and the rear lower shock bolt is seized to the rubber bushing in the control arm. I heated it, got it to break loose, but you can see the whole bushing try to spin if I wrench it. Tried a BFH to knock the bolt thru but no luck. What are my options here? Heat the bushing with Oxy/Acetylene torch and melt it out of there? What is the name for the bushing, lower strut mount bushing? Let me know if anyone has had this issue, and what your solution was.

Jackmldog

Jack
I ha that same issue when putting in my teins.. I just got my jack and lifted up that side so it put pressure on it. Then it just went in

j13

Keep It Clean
are you talking about the lower control arm bushing? if anything, you'll have to press the bushings out and buy replacement(s). unless you have ITR LCA, you'll have to replace the strut.

post a pic

ispperformance

It is the bushing on the rear lower control arm where the shock bolts thru. The nuts are off the bolts, but the bolts are seized up where it goes thru the bushing. The bushing is seized to the bolt.

Dfrederick2nd

Just Playing The Game
It is the bushing on the rear lower control arm where the shock bolts thru. The nuts are off the bolts, but the bolts are seized up where it goes thru the bushing. The bushing is seized to the bolt.
i just went thru this same shit took me a week which includes part delivery time to get my teg back on the road. i bought new LCAs. i used a saw zaw and cut the bolt between the fork on each side of the strut. i wish i had a pic but if your under the car i put the blade between each spot between the strut fork and the lca and cut it was 2 cuts on each side. mind this being after i spent a whole day trying to beat and bang the dame bolts out. i also had to cut the nut that is welded onto the strut fork. it tool me about 4 saw zaw blades to do this hope this helps

Alvi84

I just put my coilovers on a couple days ago and had this happen and did it in about 5 hours. I was able to get a new lca bushing in with the lca on my car without a machine press. We cut the bolt with a saw, used a chizel and 3lb hammer to beat the old bushing out, and when we put in the new bushing we used a bolt with two nuts and air tools. We ligned the bushing up at good as we could, hit it a few times with a hammer to barely start it in the housing and then we put the bolt through the bushing and held the nut on the other side and used the impact to pull the bushing into the housing. If you don't use a bolt and just try to hammer it the clearance is so minimal you won't get it in there straight. The impact was only able to pull the bushing in there about 3/4 of the way and we hammered it the rest of the way. Definitely wasn't easy but my old man doesn't ever say no.