timing belt broke need new motor...

azspd02

I just recently broke my timing belt just prior to hitting 129k on my '97 teg ls (shouldn't have assumed the previous owner replaced it bought it at 115k 3 months ago). I am now trying to find a replacement and have found that for about $800 I could get either a jdm b18b or a b20z. I've seen a few threads on which is better for boosting and what not but I am more interested in a daily driver (100 mile daily commute) that is somewhat fun to drive and quicker than the stock ls with basic I/h/e. I have a couple friends telling me to go for the b20 for better torque and more potential down the road but I'm pretty much on the fence reliability is the biggest concern with potential a pretty close second...thanks in advance..

4drs=morewhores

Master-D-B-ate
Exactly why i changed out my timing belt, and of course water pump and tension. You never know what the previous owner has done to it.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
you sure your engine is done? i stripped the teeth on mine, replaced the belt, and engine was running fine.

azspd02

you sure your engine is done? i stripped the teeth on mine, replaced the belt, and engine was running fine.
Ohhh damn really? Did your engine actually die before you replaced the belt? Were your gears the belt on off by a few teeth? When I crank right now my motor won't turn at all I made the mistake of listening to people at autozone and friends who told me I had a spark plug misfire and that driving on it would be ok for a while. The shop wants $350 to do the belt, water pump, etc and then they wanna run a compression test to see what all possibly needs rebuilding but I figured itd almost be better to go with a jdm but if I can salvage this motor by replacing the belt that would be awesome...:werd: I've been looking on clist to no avail so far and jdmenginecorps.com seems to have better prices than hm...and yea man I'm paying big time for being lazy and stingy and not checking and changing that shit :oops:

azspd02

Insert is^^^ in my last post:smackself....I forgot to mention the belt is actually not broken but like you saidi have stripped teeth and one of the gears is off tdc..