Brake/Wheel bearing noise?

ninjaLS

Automatics SUCK! :[
Alright so this noise has been bugging me for a while now, but it's starting to get worse. I'm pretty sure I know what brake squeaking sounds like and this isn't it. Even under braking the noise is still there, it's like a grinding type of noise. I've check my brake pads several times and they're not worn out or unevenly worn. Anyone have this problem or something similar before? Does anyone else think it's the wheel bearing? or even the axle nut? I'm really clueless. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ninjaLS

Well the times I've taken the wheel of the nut hasn't come off, so then it's the bearing? Is there a way I could tell if it was bad?

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
make sure the axle nut is tight. if it doesnt sound like a helicopter its probably not a bearing. and if it is the bearing it can cause uneven brake wear. but if its a constant gring it may be the brake shields. mine are rubbing the back of the rotor right now. or possibly something let me know if im wrong but could it be a seized piston.

wite2nr

make sure the axle nut is tight. if it doesnt sound like a helicopter its probably not a bearing. and if it is the bearing it can cause uneven brake wear. but if its a constant gring it may be the brake shields. mine are rubbing the back of the rotor right now. or possibly something let me know if im wrong but could it be a seized piston.

or that could be your wheel bearing too.

Jack up the car. grasp the wheel and see if there is any play left-right / up-down. left-right could indicate a bad wheel bearing and/or tie rod ends. up-down would indicate a bad wheel bearing. I just had to change mine. I would only use an OEM honda wheel bearing.. they are pricey but worth the cost.
also, if you can have someone move the wheel while you look behind the knuckle at the outer cv boot. if you notice the cv moving with the wheel while the knuckle remains stationary then that would mean your wheel bearing is for sure the culprit.

cheapest way to change it would be to remove the caliper/rotor, and then remove the whole spindle. take it, along with a new wheel bearing to pep boys or your local alignment place to have it pressed. should be about 20-40 to have it pressed. also, since you have to pop off the wheel bearing anyways, now would be the time to change the wheel studs to extended ones, or just new OEM ones (I just replaced mine with oem one, just in case I ever want to run a bbs rs or similar wheel with a centercap that covers the lugs).

ninjaLS

It's coming from the front driver side and I'm starting to hear it on the passenger side.
I don't think it's the brake shields, that was one of the first things i thought of. I'll be sure to check out to see if there is any play in the wheel and go from there. Thanks for the replies and help. I'll update as soon as I figure out what's is going on. I feel so bad for my car :[

dc2darkness

try jacking up the front with it in neutral and try to rotate the wheels with tires still on and see if you can hear the noise like that. when my back bearings were shot I could hear them just by spinning the wheels with the car jacked up.

ninjaLS

try jacking up the front with it in neutral and try to rotate the wheels with tires still on and see if you can hear the noise like that. when my back bearings were shot I could hear them just by spinning the wheels with the car jacked up.
Damn. I didn't think of that!

Okay well just finished going outside and jacked up the driver side first. Grabbed the rim and tried moving it left and right. It did, a little. Not like if my lugs were lose just a slight movement left and right. It didn't move up and down. Decided to take off the wheel just to look around again, and i saw this.

Closer look.

Is that the ball joint? Could this be what's making the noise? And wow how does that even happen? I'm scared to drive now.

Jacked up the other side. Moved the wheel and nothing really happened so that's good I guess.
Took off the wheel and noticed that the boot on this side was off.
Like this.

But I could just move it back so its covered. Like this.

I don't know what to do. Is it safe to drive? I drove to work yesterday, just tried to ignore the noise.
My uncle who is gonna come thursday to check it out and see what he says. Is it okay to take my car to work today? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ninjaLS

mine doesnt make a noise... it was my wheell bearing that was making sounds
Well then that pretty much settles it. I'm gonna go out again right now, jack it up and turn the wheel see if it still makes the noise, then I'll know for sure it's the bearing. Thanks Dylan.