1990 Integra GS Starting Problems: Heat Related​
Car Specs:
-3 Door
-1.8L 4cl Auto
-1990 GS
-Automatic: Windows, Sunroof, Seat Belts, and Mirrors
-Mileage: 227,000

Car Problems and Information
-Doesn't want to start when exposed to heat from the sun for a long period of time
-Starts fine when cool weather

I recently purchased this car approximately one month ago. It runs great and very strong, once it's started. But here in the last week I've had trouble getting it started after it's sat in the heat. I live in Georgia and I am a student so by the time I get out to my car at 3.30pm it's pretty hot inside and out. I roll down the windows and sunroof. Attempt to crank the car and it will try to crank, but not fully turnover. Sometimes it will crank and die. I checked the battery and connections to the starter. The battery's acid levels were low so I added some distilled water, but I'm afraid I may have over filled it. All connections to the starter were good and the connections on the battery showed now signs of corrosion. The first day after adding water to the battery the car started on my second attempt. The next day after not so much. So I'm not sure if my battery is not fully charging and is not operating well in the heat or if it is the starter. I've also read about a relay switch that tends to foul in Integras after exposure to extreme heat over years of time. Could it be this? Any hints and suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nathan.

Last edited:

DA9vid

**Former** Civic Owner
I am going to say that your Main Fuel Relay is bad and needs to be fixed/replaced. This is a common problem with Honda/Acura.

Man A

homewreker
poor guy. such a long explanation for such a simple answer lol

the main fuel relay is located under the dash on the driver side. if you are machanicaly inclined you should be able to remove it and open it up. look for cracks in the solder. just re solder it. if not, just replace it

check this out

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html

heres one on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-ACURA-INTEGRA-MAIN-RELAY-PERFECT-CONDITION_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33555QQihZ012QQitemZ220230429790QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited:

ricestick

BOOST HEAD
Yep Main Relay
Either buy a new one, or ditch it alltogether
I had so many relay probs, i just ditched the main relay alltogether.
Ran wires for the ecu, fuelpump, iacv,.
Allowed me to run multiple hidden kil switches for each.

natkingpaul2005

Alright thanks guys hopefully that will solve the problem. Im gonna do it tommorrow morning and will let you know how it goes. I hope you are all right.

natkingpaul2005

Alright so this morning I got up and Took apart the necessary pieces of the dash and then quickly found the main fuel relay. I took it apart as shown on the website posted by Man A (big thanks!) and it looked as if the connections were bad. I re soldered all connections. So hopefully this fixes the problem. I won't really be able to find out til tommorrow or on monday when it's hot. So thanks to everyone who posted.

Man A

homewreker
nice. good luck. and like you said, you wont know untill its hot or your parked under the sun for a while. but if it hapens again......... yea just buy a new one. odds are youll never have to worry about it again unless you have your car for another 10+ years

natkingpaul2005

Alright so Monday has come and passed and my car started on the first crank after having re soldered the connections on the main fuel relay. Thanks to everyone that posted and helped. Saved me a lot of time and some money.