O2 Sensor problem

runslikenew

I have a 2000 non v-tech integra with over 190 000 miles on it. A year ago I replaced the post cat O2 sensor on it because my check engine light came on. After I replaced it my mechanic reset the code and the light went off, but a couple of months later it came back on. I thought this was because my muffler had a whole in it and was rattling. I recently replaced my broken muffler but my mechanic couldn't reset the check engine light to turn off. The reading gave a p01401 code which means the post cat O2 sensor that was fairly new was bad. The actually reading said bank circuit 1 and heat sensor was the problem. Could this problem be a defective O2 sensor or could a wire have come loose from it. My fuel mileage has gone down a bit as well. The part is a plug in APWI sensor from rock auto. Do I have to buy another one or try to reinstall it.

Nick_C78

The secondary o2 does nothing. It just tells you if your cat is bad. The that code is thrown it means 2 things... either Something is wrong with the sensor...or the cat. Luckily, it does not effect performance in any way. It will not ruin fuel mileage. Cheap o2 sensors are hit or miss.

runslikenew

I always hear different opinion about the function of an 02 sensor. Some have told me it can ruin fuel economy. Others have said it has no effect on it. Either way I have to do an emission test on my car soon and it automatically fails if the check engine light is on because it uses OBD Test now instead of the tail pipe one. My car still passed under the testing system with the check engine light on.

Nick_C78

An o2 sensor can affect fuel economy, but not the secondary o2.

renarudo

Sorry to thread jack; but can changing the downstream o2 affect the mpg and the way the car gets to proper operating temperature? I just changed mine and it notice that the temperature guage takes a long time to get to the center and my mpg went down. Does the car needs time to relearn how to get to proper temp and my old mpg?

runslikenew

I know NTK and Denso are good o2 sensors for honda vehicles but what about Bosch. Are there o2 sensors compatible with integras. I need to replace mine for emission testing and don't want to spend a lot. I could chance it again a use the APWI like i did before and hope it's not defective.