Anyone know the spring rates of Skunk2 lowering springs?

Blk_DC

Anyone know the spring rates of 94-01 Skunk2 lowering springs? not the sleeves.. their lowering springs.. only thing that comes up googling is the sleeves.. any help would be great thanks!
Thanks!

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
B&G S2 are progressive rate springs. Linear springs have all equally sized coils, so each coil takes about the same load to compress and the rate of ompression vs. load is linear, hence the name. Progressive rate springs have different diameter coils which compress at different loads so the rate isn't easily defined.

To get an idea of how two differest styles may compare, you would need to plot compression displacement vs. load. You would see that a linear spring would have a nice straight line with an easily definable, fixed rate slope. A progressive spring would have a parabolic curve as the first few coils would compress easily and the necessary load ramps up to some exponential degree as the displacement would increase.

Last edited:

Blk_DC

B&G S2 are progressive rate springs. Linear springs have all equally sized coils, so each coil takes about the same load to compress and the rate of ompression vs. load is linear, hence the name. Progressive rate springs have different diameter coils which compress at different loads so the rate isn't easily defined.

To get an idea of how two differest styles may compare, you would need to plot compression displacement vs. load. You would see that a linear spring would have a nice straight line with an easily definable, fixed rate slope. A progressive spring would have a parabolic curve as the first few coils would compress easily and the necessary load ramps up to some exponential degree as the displacement would increase.
thanks for the info man! but I was just seeing if anyone new the numbers(front & rear) so I could compare them to the other springs I was looking to get

But now I'm looking for 94-01 skunk2 lowering springs(not the sleeves)spring rates.. anyone know?

Last edited:

Blk_DC

anyone =/
oh and if a mod could change the title to:
Anyone know the spring rates of Skunk2 lowering springs?
the current title is incorrect

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
thanks for the info man! but I was just seeing if anyone new the numbers(front & rear) so I could compare them to the other springs I was looking to get
You missed the point, there are no numbers. The number constantly changes throughout the stroke of the spring.

As for the Skunk2, did you bother to read the thread stuck to the top of this forum? I'm guessing not.

Last edited:

Blk_DC

You missed the point, there are no numbers. The number constantly changes throughout the stroke of the spring.

As for the Skunk2, did you bother to read the thread stuck to the top of this forum? I'm guessing not.
Yes I understand how there isn't a set number, but for a basis just to see what I'd be working with. The number the manufacture gives is a good starting point to know what I'd be getting into. For example, If I were to get HR race or HR sports.. the give a set number(though they aren't consistent numbers)which tells me what would be over all stiffer in their performance. Also I'd have to include if they were progressive or linear. Plus this is for my DD, not trying to go too hardcore here lol.

I seen that sticky, I guess I should have said. "Could anyone confirm Skunk2 lowering springs are 6k/8k", because thats what their coilsleeves are as concluded from researching. But, I came up with various numbers. Best thing to do is get a hold of someone at SKunk2(which hasn't worked out lol) or just buy them and read them. Skunk2 listed their spring rates on their springs as kg/mm, so if someone could post a pic of their springs, we would multiply the numbers by *56.
Or this link: http://www.anzwers.org/trade/hsdracing/elka/springrateconversion.html

F 6kg/mm-R 8kg/mm = F 336.7lbs/in-R 448.6lbs/in

not trying to shut you down just wanted to verify, I thought their sleeves would be stiffer than their lowering springs not the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong dc2GS-R,
Thanks!

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
F 6kg/mm-R 8kg/mm = F 336.7lbs/in-R 448.6lbs/in
I didn't realize that is what that thread said, that isn't right. The lowering springs are F:520 R:290, or at least that is what Skunk2 claims

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
you might be looking at a drag set up kyle thats like a 12k 4k set up. As far as i know Most coilovers come with a heavier spring in the front not the back

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Blk_DC said:
Skunk2 listed their spring rates on their springs as kg/mm, so if someone could post a pic of their springs, we would multiply the numbers by *56.
Just to let you know, that's not the most accurate way to convert. For better accuracy, divide kg/mm by .0179 to reach lb/in.

See:
1 lb = 0.4535923699997481 kg
1 in. = 25.4 mmm
0.4535923699997481/25.4 = 0.017857967322824728346456692913386

So the conversion factor is 0.017857967322824728346456692913386
you might be looking at a drag set up kyle thats like a 12k 4k set up. As far as i know Most coilovers come with a heavier spring in the front not the back
That is what Skunk2 claims of their lowering springs. F: 520 R: 290 which equates to about F: 9.3 R: 5.2

Last edited:

Blk_DC

Just to let you know, that's not the most accurate way to convert. For better accuracy, divide kg/mm by .0179 to reach lb/in.

See:
1 lb = 0.4535923699997481 kg
1 in. = 25.4 mmm
0.4535923699997481/25.4 = 0.017857967322824728346456692913386

So the conversion factor is 0.017857967322824728346456692913386

That is what Skunk2 claims of their lowering springs. F: 520 R: 290 which equates to about F: 9.3 R: 5.2
Thanks for the conversion! Now does Skunk2 claim linear or progressive on their lowering springs? Tried calling them.. And now the number won't even work.. odd

Blk_DC

from skunk2
DC2 Integra Lowering spring rates:

Front:
Tender: 173lb/in
Main: 520lb/in

Rear:
Tender: 106lb/in
Main: 291lb/in