squeak/squeal at startup

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i recently replaced my timing belt (sheared teeth) and now everytime at startup when cold, theres a squeak/squeal and it'll go away after the rps drop right after startup.

i checked the tension on the alternator and it seems fine to me

it never did that ti'll i changed the timing belt.. any insights? i could get a vid up in a few.. i gotta charge some batteries :p

g3teg97

Super Moderator
I have the exact same thing. Still haven't looked into getting that fixed. I need to make a "to-do list."

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
lol! people told me that a belt is too tight/loose, need to replace water pump/timing tensioner, adjust the tension on the timing tensioner.. wtf?!

santanard

VTAKKKK
if its still squeaking it probly means you have to tighten it

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i set it like what chilton's said how to set the tension.. but i guess i'll go at it again this weekend.. its so annoying and embarrassing at the same time when im at starbucks.. lol!!

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Just try tightening it first. But sometimes a belt will just do it anyway if it is old and worn so replace it if it doesn't go away.

IntegraTuner

IM GOIN THROUGH THE SAME THING! i replaced the alternator belt because it was shredding and a couple days later the sound came bak n was worse. now, just recently, it only acts up on start up and no longer on idles goin into the stop light. lemme know if you figure it out coco.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
crap.. i was hoping it wasnt the water pump.. or the tensioner.. looks like im going back under the car this weekend :(

jdm_mike19

u wanna talk about embarrassing i just did my head gasket yesterday and all that shit, and now i forgot to re adjust my valves and there ticking HELLA loud lol so thats embarrassing so now i gotta do that soon i just dont wanna today cause i spent enough time under my hood yesterday.