Unplug TPS and/or IACV - no reaction, engine still idles at 1500rpm ..

aidanodr

Hi Guys,

I have a 1998 Jap Import DC1 SOHC Integra 1592cc.

When she warms up and while idle she sits at 1500rpm. I cleaned out the IACV and the Throttle Body etc. No joy. Having done all this I reset the ECU also. All the time I have the engine check light on telling me its the IACV and the TPS at fault.

I realise this might need replacements but just checking before I do so - While the engine is on idling at 1500rpm I pull out the IACV cable, nothing happens, no reaction. I also plugged out the TPS, again no reaction. Whether they are plugged in or out the engine stays idling at 1500. Does this mean they are both shot? Is this a good test?

I tried to reset the TPS also by loosening those 2 screws holding it to the TB so I could rotate it. I had my multimeter pushed into the middle cable on the TPS. No joy, I am getting no reading regardless of how patient. -0 or 0 is it ...

Any further thoughts appreciated
Aidan

Last edited:

aidanodr

I should also note that while driving AND if stopped at lights she zips up to 1500 while out of gear and/or clutch in. BUT if I put it into 1st and slowly leave the clutch out only so far I can manually bring the revs down to the 800/1000. Of course it means a load of foot exercise :D

This higher rev ONLY occurs when the car has warmed to operating temperature. While cold and warming up the rev's are fine.

Aidan

Vtec-Pwr

OPP-O1-OH-DC2
what kind of intake do you have? same pro happened to me b4, did all that and found out my comptech icebox with new filter that has too much oil so i didn't have enough air, changed it and no more problem since

aidanodr

Here is my engine, I have not modded it, its as is from day one way back.

Aidan

aidanodr

MY GOD!!!! GOT DIRT????

possible intake leak or bad map?
Yes, Loads of Dirt, well sort of - most of it is dust. Impossible to keep any car clean outside and the engine bay here in S. Ireland. Loads of potholes with water, muck and mud. Constantly wet and also lots of tractors and farm machinery where I am. I gave up washing it as I would have to do so daily. We will see for the summer if we get a dry one ...

The MAP is on top of the TB. Of all three sensors this is the only one to react when you plug it out while engine running. It drops the rev's but I think that puts the car into limp home mode?

By intake leak you mean vacuum pipe leak? Whats the best way to test for this?

Aidan

Last edited:

aidanodr

Just checked the CEL Code again. I am getting Code 7 ONLY - Throttle Angle. Thats the Throttle Position Sensor?

Aidan

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
No, not intake pipe leak. Only a vacuum leak (between throttle plate and head) could cause this. BUT, you already know your TPS is bad, so start there.

The IACV will stay wide open after the TPS shows that you have your foot on the gas. So it's probably staying wide open which will throw a code. Don't assume that it's the sensor however. The harness should show a reference 5 volts even w/out the sensor.