Can someone explain the painting process to a car real quick for me.

Erickline

Hey guys. i was under the impression that after all body work is done, you do the prime, base and the clear. now my buddys sayin i need to use a sealer.... does the sealer come after priming? can some please explaint this to me as im doing an entire car

ive done alot of panels and doors over the years with good results but never did an entire car so i wana get this right

digdug18

You don't need to use a sealer, you should be fine just sanding or scuffing up your paint that is on there now, and painting directly it.

steve-o_585

Sealer is good for preventing rust and other stuff if there is alot of bondo work and metal work. But sealer comes first, then primer.

ikilledelmo

sand out any rust make sure its scuffed then 330 clean it apply apoxy (sealer) to prevent future rust, then primer, paint, clear coat, buff best to sand or use a scuff pad in between each section. 3-4 light coats of paint with time to le cure for best results.

Prozon

Kris
You shouldn't paint over rust, not really sure why it was brought up anyways. Remove all rust by means of cutting/sanding and a normal primer would be sufficient. You don't need anything special because the rust would be gone and you would be painting bare metal.

Just throwing it out there that like 90% of a paint job is in the prep work. It takes two minutes to spray the paint, it can take ages to get the body prepped for it. I've heard of some vehicles that received over 40 hours worth of body work to get ready for a paint job that takes less then an hour to spray on.