Painting valve cover

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
high temp paint, enamel is can withstand high temperatures. what color are you trying to go for? glossy for flat?

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
i used High Temp Wrinkle Red Paint when i did my valve cover. it ended up being screwd by my bro's former friend. god i wish i could throw a wrench at him.

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
*** I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, THIS IS SIMPLY A SUGGESTIVE WRITE UP***
Supplies/Tools:
-Paint thinner
-Aircraft grade paint stripper
-Paint (Krylon 3380 RED WRINKLE)
-Painters tape
-Sandpaper

the chemicals and the paint: got the paint at autozone

1. Apply the aircraft stripper in generous amounts, we did 2 1/2 to 3 coats with some cheap paint brushes from k-mart. It starts working about 1-2 minutes after you apply it, you can use a plastic scraper to remove the stripped paint. Then after you get what you can with the stripper take it to a hose and rinse off the remaining flakes

2. After you rinse them, dry them off to the best of your ability and get ready to sand the corroded spots and the badges (Honda, VTEC and symbol). We used 350 grit to start with then finished it off with 600 before paint. Make sure you sand all the corroded spots because the paint will not stick if you don't

3. Now take your valve cover back to the sink/hose and get some soap this time and clean it real good then get the paint thinner and a rag out and go over it a couple times to get everything off the surface. After this step try not to touch the paint surface

4. Now tape up all the areas you don't want paint to get in to:

5. Now comes the painting, the Krylon we used said do 3 coats in 5 minute intervals. Make sure you remove the tape while the paint is wet, if you take it off when its dry you can take the paint up with it

then with the tape removed:

6. Let them sit at least 12 hours to dry then set the oven to 200 degrees and throw it in there for 20 minutes

7. Next you can sand the badges if you want, get the painters tape back out and the sandpaper and repeat what you did in step 2 (350 -> 600)

After sanding the paint off the badges, your good to go, just clean the dust off and take some pics and post them in here!

heres some links to buy the paint if you can't find it anywhere local (note its not krylon but i couldn't find krylon but the part number is 3380 RED WRINKLE)

its a write up me and a buddy did on CH.

Hope it helps!

Sammich

what i have always wondered was what do you tape up when you paint, besides the oil filler hole?

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
oil filler and spark plug holes. all the screw locations and the ground wire area.

Sammich

i have seen some cases where it looks like the inside of the spark plug holes have been painted fully. do you mean the part where the 'plug gasket/o ring' goes

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
i painted mine with high temp gloss black from autozone,
1st used high temp primer, then a few coats of high temp gloss black, then a few coats of high tmp clear coat,
Grinded off the letter and came out very well IMO

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!

did mine wrinkle red......used like 6 coats....then i shaved the letters with a whiz wheel

Jmoney187

LivinLow
im goin for flat color.. i'm either painting it wrinkle red again or mayb yellow so i dont have to hear OO yo's got a type r o o o da da..
So how do you tape off the letters, u just coverthem lil pieces of tape, Thats guna take a wile!?

Can i get the paint from advanced autoparts as long as its high temp?

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
you paint over the letterings also. and shave them after everything dries. as 8urcivic said he used a whiz wheel. i actually sand each letter one by one.

*** This isn't mine /// Reference Picture *** Only if you're using this type of VC.

Last edited: