How To: Replacing the Ignition Control Module(ICM) 88-89 Blacktop D16A1

awright3331

G1 TEG
This is my first time being on here in a very long time. I figured I would post this here as well since it also deals with integras. I am the original author of this tutorial and I posted it on another site specifically for First gen integras a few days ago..

NOTE: THIS TUTORIAL IS WORKING WITH THE IGNITION SYSTEM, WHICH IS ELECTRICAL. IT IS ALWAYS RECOMMENDED TO REMOVE THE BATTERY BEFORE DOING ANY ELECTRICAL WORK

[FOR THIS TUTORIAL, YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE THE INTAKE TUBING, AND THE BATTERY, OR REMOVE THE DISTRIBUTOR

This will explain what the Ignition Control Module is, what is does, how to tell if its bad, and how to replace it.

ICM - What is It?
To better understand the ICM, it is important to know that the Ignition Coil(black box on the opposite side from ICM) is what provides the electric current to the contact points in the Distributor Cap. The ICM helps manage the current used by the Ignition Coil. Thus creating the spark, which travels through your plug wires into your spark plugs. This is important because with Internal Combustion Engines, the spark must ignite strong to be able to ignite the Air/Fuel mixture in each cylinder
How do I know if it is going out?
Some of the symptoms I was having are Jumping Idle, Hesitation on acceleration, sputtering engine. There are some more symptoms
A bad ICM Could make your engine overheat, or not start at all, it could also cause bad hesitation and loss of power

Now I know what it is, but where can I order a new one without spending alot of money?
You can order new one on rockauto.com, they range from 30 to 60 dollars US.

I ordered it, how do I replace it?
To replace the ICM, you need to remove the battery to avoid shorting something out, this also gives your ECU time to reset and clear any stored codes or limp modes it may be encountering. For this tutorial, the distributor will remain on the engine, so you will need to remove the intake tube connecting to the Air Intake Manifold. You will need a Philips head and a flat head, I used a leatherman.

So without further boring reading, I will now inform you how to replace the ICM.

First steps first, assuming you have already removed your battery and air intake tube, you now MUST remove the distributor cap, remove the three screws

Now once your cap is off, put it out of the way and locate the ICM, remember it is OPPOSITE to the Ignition Coil

Now, unhook the wires from the ICM, remember they must hook onto the New one the SAME way they came off.

Now, there are 2 screws on the outside of the distributor on the ICM side that you must remove, flat head screw driver will remove them and should not strip them out. (Unfortunately, I could not get a picture of them, sorry.) This will allow you to remove the ICM(I removed the rotor as well, gave me the chance to clean up the contact point)

This part will have no pictures, due to the fact it got dark when I was putting it back together.

Next, Put the NEW ICM in place of the old one, and hold it so you can put the screws down onto it. This should be done with care to assure the threads do NOT strip out.

Then, hook the wires to the new ICM, remember to put them back into the place that they go in. The bottom one will not reach anywhere else.

Now(assuming you have put the rotor back on) you can replace the distributor cap, remember it only goes on one way(as well as the rotor). Make sure you do not strip the threads, and make sure each screw goes in snug. You do not want any looseness in your ignition system.

If you unhooked your spark plug wires, replace them.

Put your intake tube, and your battery back in and make sure that you did not knock anything loose. Everything should be in its place.

Now start your engine, and drive it easy for a few hundred miles(not necessary, but I recommend atleast 700 to 800 miles of easy driving, just to ensure that your ICM has a full long life)

You have done it, you replaced an essential part of your ignition system. And now you know how to do it. This tutorial may not be posted somewhere else without my permission,ClubIntegra, its owners, members, and staff are not responsible if you mess anything up. Always take the recommended safety precautions before working on ANY Vehicle.

Last edited: