Tuning My RSX

TheMechanic

Mechanic In Training
Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge. I am a Subaru WRX guy and i know alot about that car. I know everytime a mod is added, the WRX needs a tune. Is this the case for an RSX? If i put a CAI or Exhaust on it, will i need a tune for it to work and not screw up the engine?

Thanks for your help :)

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
no, you dont need a tune for simple bolt ons. once you start doing major internal work is when you need a tune.

Cripton805

You can if you want to and the gain would be miniscule, but it wouldn't hurt if you didn't unless you build internally like Tam said.

natron84

you still gain from those bolt ons without a tune. If you were to cam or turbo it, then a K-pro would be the way to go.

speedin

The Transporter
Welcome to the site. As already said, for simple bolt on its not NEEDED. However if you have simple bolt-ons and a K-Pro to retune you will see much more noticeable gains. Keep in mind with the RSX your going to see a fraction of the gains you will see with a F/I car with bolt-ons and a tune.

TheMechanic

Mechanic In Training
I assume its the same for an integra GSR right? and BTW i cant understand what a K-pro is. Can someone explain it please.

sage0021

you cant tune a stock rsx ecu. you can a: send it to hondata and have it reflashed for around $300 or b: you can buy kpro which is an 02-04 prb ecu that is programmable using k-manager software. about $1000 and up (05-06 rsx 's require a harness which makes it more expensive) having a kpro'd ecu will allow you to tune it yourself on your cpu or laptop or take it to a tuner and have it done professionally. without kpro you cannot tune the rsx

edit: there are alternate ecu's besides the hondata kpro that allow you to tune. its not kpro or nothing but you cant tune the stock one

sage0021

as far as your original question though. you can put on a cai, race/shorty header, catback and be just fine with the stock ecu and tune. any F/ I or changing the intake manifold or changing internals will require a tune. also just an fyi i mentioned the reflash which is like a "chip" or a preset more aggressive tune direct from hondata, this is not recommended if running a race header. so depending on what your plans are with the car. if you ever plan to boost kpro is a must, if you just want to throw a cai with a shorty header and keep the cat to pass emissions or something, get the reflash and it would help get the most out of those mods. hope this helps

K20A3_DC5

hardparked
i didnt really read over what other people said but if its already said then sorry but to answer your question. if you just want cai/rh/e then you do not need kpro or reflash or a tune but gains are not going to be a lot. but a hondata reflash would go really well with simple bolt ons and give you decent gains. but if you plan on supercharging or turbo, basically anything else besides bolt ons i would suggest kpro and a tune. with kpro you can basically do anything you want with a proper tune.

hope that answers your question