thatsmrpyro2u's 99 gsr build thread/ restoration

thatsmrpyro2u

hello all, this is going to be kind of a record of what Ive done to my car, as well as motivation to continue. little history, I purchased this car in 2008 while deployed to Afghanistan, its an eBay find. i contacted the seller and then had my father drive to see it. I'm from the Wilkes-barre area of PA, and had my father run down to Lancaster PA to look at it. With his thumbs up the car came home a week later while i was still thousands of miles away.

her she is the day i got her

when i bought the car it already had a cat back exhaust but was otherwise unmolested. since then however Ive had my dirty figures all over then car

the main reason I'm starting a build thread now is that my poor car has been taken advantage of and beaten on for so long that she starting to look a little rough. Once i got a better paying job it was time to start working to fix the old girl.

thatsmrpyro2u

so on to chapter 2 of the story the first round of upgrades.

unfortunately Ive had 3 computers since the car was purchased and haven't had a lot of the pics Ive taken over the years follow. once my car was purchased its was a buying frenzy for parts, and im not going to lie i made some bad purchases

i did the typical I/H/E, added a mild stereo system, and got rid of some super ugly tail lights that the car came with. i also traded the amber turn signals with some clear ones the PO gave me with the car.

within ill say a year or so of owning the car i had the good fortune of having my exhaust reamed by one of NEPAs finest potholes... still havent figure out how but i managed to rip a nice size hole in the exhaust. reason to upgrade/replace. this leads to another set of problems we will discuss in a later post

thatsmrpyro2u

finally back, ive been super busy with work this summer. anyways on to the updates. lets start with my front bumper. some time ago almost 2 years i get a call from my roommate that he has hit my car. at the time i was driving an s-10 blazer i also owned

i came home to find that my bumper has been cleanly removed from the front of my car. he turned to sharp and caught it with his tire. being the upstanding guy that he is he bought me a new bumper. what i didn't get out of the deal were the turn signals he destroyed or the fender that got a little mis-aligned.

don't have a lot of pix relating to the bumper tried to hid it a little. so thats where we started the summer.

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
zip ties FTW!!! btw i hope those are your temp wheels and you still have your OEM blades.

thatsmrpyro2u

so the first motor in my car when i bought it started smoking and burning oil, when ipurchased the car i had also purchased a second motor to build. needless to say the motor to be built ended up in the car sooner than i wanted.

so here starts the rebuilt motor that was to be. i started with the teardown no. im not going to have it finished before i deploy but at least ill know about how much its gunna cost. thus far everything looks good. it was burning oil so the cylinders are coated abd the head looks nasty but there nothng in the opil pan other than oil.

im shooting for a factory rebuild . i plan on keeping the car na for now. but then again i have a another block ofter this one to build for boost so maybe later on.

thatsmrpyro2u

yep still have the blades, they are in need of resurfacing tho. the blades will get redone and those white wheels are already painted bronze.

thatsmrpyro2u

Well it's update time. I'm currently on active dutybtraining for a deployment over seas. Outlive still got the bug. I've started shopping around for a few things I want for the car.

In about 2 weeks the cargoes into the shop after it gets inspected I'll be having it dropped off at the body shop. Everything is in the works. It will be awesome I'll come home to a brand new car.

thatsmrpyro2u

ok to start im in the PA national guard. im currently being deployed to kuwait. but im trying to get on the Afghanistan deployment once we get back. i was already in afghanistan once.

as for the car im currently picking up some things here and there when i get some internet. my firat purchase was an nrg v2 quick release hub. im also currently looking to replace my exhaust with one of the yonaka catbacks. as for the exhaust unfortunatly im going to have to modify it since they dont sell one for a 99 gsr but off well.

also on the lookout for some itr seats or something similar and a steering wheel i like.

thatsmrpyro2u

Time for an update, im still playing around in the sandbox but im looking forward to my comming home and working on the teggy. some stuff ive purchased so far

-yonaka catback to replace my magnaflow that never fit right.
-pherable.net 70mm throttle body. got this one on sale right around christmas. should help with future mods
-new pinned jumper harness, not the soldered type that left me stranded last time
-nrg short hub to attach my quick release.

some stuff on the list for the next few months are seats of some sort, as my tan leathers are all but destroyed, some form of low down rails, all the parts for the engine rebuild, and hardrace bushings/mounts. the car also has a date with the painter in a few months

in other news my girl just picked up here new car, a 07 civic SI.

thatsmrpyro2u

Im back

Im back

I got home a few days ago and received a call yesterday that my car is finished. I went to pic it up and was amazed. I just did a factory respray. The shop replaced both rear quarters, fixed the front fender and replaced my front bumper.

I recently picked up a type r lip that will go on sometime in the spring.

as for parts I currently have function and form type one coil overs installed, and waiting in the garage is a box containing the full hard race bushing kit, to include motor mounts. And the second block is completely torn down. it will be heading to the shop on Tuesday for a cleaning and inspection.

Cant wait to get everything finished and start tearing it up.

TheMyth

If you dont mind sharing, how much do you have in the quarter panel changes and paint work?
And I've been to your home area. Wilkes and Scranton was some cool places to see bar concerts and snow board. I believe its Montage Mt??

droz

curious about paint pricing myself, I just installed new fenders on my car and the front bumper is next, gonna need to get everything repainted at some point and not too keen on most the body shops around here

thatsmrpyro2u

yea there's not a lot going on here but there are some great places to catch a show. We also have some meets that can get rather large to.

the body shop I went to is local, but does good work. small out of the way kind of place.

total in the car for paint is 3200. that also includes tracking down the leak i had in the rear and replacing the quarter panels. It wasn't necessarily cheap but i want my car to look good again. And im tired of doing things half assed.