build my B18a or ls/vtec?

g2integra387

Hey. I'm torn between this decision so I figured I'd ask for your wisdom and knowledge on the subject. I have a b18a with 191k that either needs to go or be rebuilt. Mind you this will be a daily driver and N/A. My budget is between $2000-2500. Would I get more bang for my buck building the b18a or converting to ls/vtech? I want to be able to keep with the local gsr's or maybe even pass by them waving.

Gigarange

if you've got a budget and you want to keep it as reliable as possble rebuild you b18.

I'm not saying an LS/Vtec motor can't be reliable it just cost a lot of money to make it that way. And just by the nature of what it is...it will need to be rebuilt again sooner rather then later.

Just my opinion on the subject

g2integra387

Gigarange said:
if you've got a budget and you want to keep it as reliable as possble rebuild you b18.

I'm not saying an LS/Vtec motor can't be reliable it just cost a lot of <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=money&v=56">money</a> to make it that way. And just by the nature of what it is...it will need to be rebuilt again sooner rather then later.

Just my opinion on the subject
Thanks for the advise. I was thinking about this topic for a long time. Some of my friends tried telling me it would be cheaper and I would make out better if I stuck in a h22a engine but I thought they didnt make motor mounts for the 90-93 integras. I just want a setup to keep with the big boyz.

Eviloliv3

Nobody Listens To Me
Take your head off, mill it .030", get it P+P while you are in there, add some Crower 404 bump sticks with the matching valve train, B16 tranny, Hondata, Dyno Tuning

that should be about 2500 worth of stuff. and youll be hitting around 180whp and 140wtq.... would that allow you to run with the big boys?

Edit: oh, and possibly 13s with slicks and good driving

g2integra387

I believe so seeing how stock gsrs run at 150whp I believe. Is it possible to get a p&p to jdm b18c5 specs? I'm shooting for 11.6.1 compression or atleast somewhere around those lines with p73 type r rings oversized 81.25mm and forged rods made by eagle I just have to figure out if I can use eagle rods with jdm type r pistons? I know down the road I will also be adding a ITR throttle body, header, and possibly ITR intake manifold unless the skunk2 seems more intising. It would be nice to hit 190-200 whp.

g2integra387

I forgot to add I have a pr4. Will that work with the setup you recomended for me and the setup I'm planning on building or is there a better alternative?I don't mean to get off topic here but I can't find a good acura/honda machine shop anywhere in CT and I've been searching for a long time. People are telling if I want to go to a decent shop I have to travel to NY!!??

Gigarange

Place Racing makes mounts to put an h22a into the DA chassis. But cheap is not in the same sentence.

The kit from Place Racing is somewhere in the $1200US price range plus the cost of the h22a/trans/ecu you'd be looking at $4k - $5k+ depeding on what kinda of deals you find along the way.

the h22 in our cars is fun though :)
the weight difference is a lot less then most think as well. I can't remember the exact specs. But basically if I were to go from my auto b18 to a 5-speed h22 the weight difference would be neglagable due to the extra 80lbs or so that the auto trans and misc crap to go along with it add over the 5-speed b18.

as for a machine shop. Have you tried calling your locale Honda and or Acura dealerships and asking them where they send there stuff?

g2integra387

Thats a good idea I nenver thought of that. I would give them a call but the past few days I've been doing alot of research and found a few places that seem eligable. The only thing I have no idea about is this hondata ecu which i would have to use if i got crower 404 cams. I would like to give it a try but if I dont find anymore info on it soon I'm just going to stick with crower 403's and get the springs and retainers that come with. I wouldn't even know what to order when it comes to hondata.<--confused.

mist3r Lin

With $2k, you could look to boost on a budget.
If you don't mind a small turbo running low amounts of boost, it's possible.

Nd4sped

First off lets get one thing straight okay....Its VTEC, not vtech, Vtec, V-tec or any other misconception...

Now down to business. Since you are going N/A.....Use a GSR head and high pistons.....LS/VTEC is a great way to go...Good build for a low to medium budget. A complete GSR head is gonna run you around $500-$600. But once you rebuild the block, IE: pistons, rods, oil pump gear, etc., you can say the block is at 0 miles practically. I would keep the LS crank though. Just get it resurfaced and new journal bearings. Let me know if oyu need more help on this.....

Click on my link below to see my LS/VTEC in the making...Im using a B18A1 block also. 70k original miles too...Cheeeerrrry.

Wickedcivic94

well i am looking at a 93 integra with a b18a block and a VTEC head . i am not really sure if it is a B16 or GSR head but it is pretty quick . I will also have around $1500 to build up the motor ( if it isnt already built ) . I am planning on Maybe running a turbo on about 6 psi . If i can find a turbo that cheap ill go for it . if not i will build the motor somewhat . Either way you do it i would recommend LS VTEC . in the integra im looking at the vtec screams . i love it because it scares the shit outta old ladies LOL . And that is running on DC headers and stock exhaust piping . Oh and a short ram intake .

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I recommend not doing it cheap, if you want it to last save up a little longer and get the good shit. Or else you could run into problems later with a turbo. Either head would be fine. Just do your research. Good luck keep us informed.