Question for you guys. slipping tranny

XxCaryxX

Ok, so I been doing research on the automatics for the car and all that. I got to thinking about my transmission's specific issue. It has been slipping from 3rd to 4th for the past four years. However, it has not gotten any worse or better. My question is, could the culprit of the 'slip' be the shift solenoid? Being the car is 16 years old I could see where the solenoid could/would fail. So, the point of all this is: Could the solenoid be the issue or is the transmission actually failing?

Thanks,
Cory

XxCaryxX

Here is where it gets kinda odd. (At least to me). The outside temperature affects it a big deal. If its below 50 degrees outside the slip will be worse than if it is 60 to 70 degrees or higher. However, once the car is warmed up the slips from 3rd to 4th are sparratic, regardless of the outside temperature. So, logic tells me that since the solenoid is on the outside of the transmission case then it would be affected by temperature more-so than the actual gearing, although the gearing is affected to by the colder temps. Tried to talk to the transmission shop my family uses today and they were closed by the time I got there after work. So I will try tomorrow or Monday.

dmacnesa23

mine has a studder from 3 to 4 . I have noticed if I slip it in to 4th after 70Km no slippage.

XxCaryxX

Spoke to my uncle (My go to guy for mechanics as he is the equivalent of a master certified lol) and he agrees that the issue lies within the solenoid as 4 years of the tranny slippage is just not possible if it were the internal gears causing it. So, once I have a spare 200$ I am ordering the solenoid and there should no longer be a slip! Thanks guys!

XxCaryxX

Ah, ok. Thanks Jim! I will have him do it Saturday assuming the weather permits. He is gonna swear like crazy once I tell him where it is hhahahaha. >:)