how to adjust valves

PogKai

B20VTEC
first off, get the tools.. you'll need a feeler gauge and the tool for adjusting the valves.. come back after you get the stuff.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I recommend getting angled feeler guages (metric), makes it easier to do the job than with straight ones. You can get feeler guages at Sears for like $6-$8. The special valve adjustment tool you need is harder to get ahold of, though. Snap On makes one, it about $50. Other than that, you just need your everyday tools to remove the valve cover and turn the crankshaft. If you have the money and want to be on the safe side, get yourself a valve cover gasket set, it's around $30, they're on Ebay all the time.

715guy

is it safe for me to drive it right now 'cause it sounds very loud....when i start the engine..

speedin

The Transporter
TegSox said:
I recommend getting angled feeler guages (metric), makes it easier to do the job than with straight ones. You can get feeler guages at Sears for like $6-$8. The special valve adjustment tool you need is harder to get ahold of, though. Snap On makes one, it about $50. Other than that, you just need your everyday tools to remove the valve cover and turn the crankshaft. If you have the money and want to be on the safe side, get yourself a valve cover gasket set, it's around $30, they're on Ebay all the time.
you can reuse the gaskets (if their not brittle) and put some gasket sealer on with it. btw LS's dont need the adjuster tool. only gsr's require that. i need to do this too.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
speedin said:
you can reuse the gaskets (if their not brittle) and put some gasket sealer on with it. btw LS's dont need the adjuster tool. only gsr's require that. i need to do this too.
That's why I said "to be on the safe side", in case their brittle or if they tear when pulling the cover off. But your right, they can often be reused without a problem.
But thanks for the correction on the adjustment tool. I can't find any info in my Haynes manual, or even my Helm's manual, to refutiate it. And I don't own a B18B, so I'll take your word for it. :thumbs up