My new teg!

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Spark plugs, wires, oil change, replace worn bushings, etc. That stuff will have more of an effect over an intake and exhaust.

COOLKIDSCLUB

thanks guys! i have another issue. my thermostat gauge is fluctuating and sitting all the way at redline sometimes. the car isnt over heating though. its actually running perfect. what could be wrong? im always popping the hood expecting smoke to come billowing out but theres nothing.

phatintegra

Banned
Check for coolant leak from hose to radiator. Then check T-stat then water pump.

COOLKIDSCLUB

after some research i believe its a bad gauge. i ordered one on ebay and it will be here next week. fingers crossed its all good.

COOLKIDSCLUB

i also ordered the shifter bushing. hopefully that squeak from the shifter stops. other than that its going great. gotta figure out how to post pictures here so i can show the full car.

flyinpotatoes

Hey where in ct are you? I'm in new Milford and I am an ase certified mechanic and would be willing to put it up on a lift and check out the noise and the water temp issue if you haven't figured it all out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COOLKIDSCLUB

so heres an update yall. it wasnt a bad gauge. the car was over heating. so i changed the thermostat and that wasnt it! so now its in the shop getting a new water pump. hopefully i get her back today.

Nick_C78

They are right about maintenance before mods. After the engine is all tuned up and free from any leaks you should work on freshening up the suspension and bushings. That will make the car feel all around better. Then just save up and research.

However, search for a first gen b16 cable tranny when you are ready to do mods. That'll give you a nice kick in performance, doesn't require a tune, doesn't mess with SMOG laws, cops won't notice it...etc.

COOLKIDSCLUB

thanks dood! and yeah of course the maintenance is key. theres no leaks now that a water pump is getting replaced. im getting new springs when i can afford it. so hopefully in a month. skunk2, tanabe, or tein? also a sway bar and some lower control arms. the car was only owned by one guy before me and it has 83k miles on it. its in great shape. i am new to the car world though. so i appreciate all help and ideas and suggestions.

COOLKIDSCLUB

got her all fixed! new radiator did the trick. now i have a new thermostat, water pump, timing belt, and radiator.

COOLKIDSCLUB

yeah i got a mean squeak coming out the shifter too. i have the new bushings but im dragging my feet on it. i cant afford coilovers. im going to get new springs for now and stick with my stock struts

COOLKIDSCLUB

are truhart coilovers worth buying? or yonaka? i need something that is a little budget friendly. maybe skunk 2 struts with lowering springs. not really looking for a track car. just a daily to do some spirited driving in.