oxygen sensor question

emd513

i have ordered a header for my b18a1 and do not want to drill a hole for my o2. what kind of problems will i be facing if i do that and leave it out of the exhaust. not to much worried about a couple of miles to a gallon since it is not working properly now but what about performance will i be ok r should i pput it in the header

cashtango25

well as 4 performance i would say yea it drags it dwn a little cause i replaced mine in my 90 teg Ls n damn it feels like a new car again. cause what it does is it lets tha comp know how much fuel 2 put in tha motor.

Patchezz

(///_-),.I..
not only that but ive seen cases when people remove there o2 sensor the car wont start or the idle will bounce up and down alot.. not too good for the engine imo

emd513

the idle is bouncing up down when cold n warm now use to be just when it was cold. i had to replace the dist. 2 months ago and i put a cold air and adjustable fpr on. the fpr because the ecu kept throwing a code for system to lean, after i installed it everything got better but now im starting to lag a little n the higher rpms again. do u guys think it would be the o2 r one of the other million things that make the idle bounce

Patchezz

(///_-),.I..
uh i would go ahead and replace your o2 and maybe get the ecu flashed.. sometimes that helps too

Patchezz

(///_-),.I..
when they flash an ecu its... kinda like cleaning out your harddrive on your computer. your ecu saves data and goes off that data to help the engine run properly.. so after you get it flashed it'll be like driving a car with a brand new ecu on it. most dealerships or auto shops will do it, most places vary on price. takes about 10-20 minutes to do it too

IXsokudo

agrees with above ^^^^^^^^^^you need the o2 to tell the ecu how much fuel is being dumped or not being burned
without it u will throw a cel I had an 800 tubo header and down pipeon my evo 9 that I had to drill it sucks but its its worth the effort for your ride.

You got a header that did not come with an O2 bung??? I've never heard of that... Should have given me a shout.. I would have given u a GREAT header, and it would have had an O2 bung in it :)

btw yes u need it, the car will run with bad gas mileage etc..

emd513

Well I'm not sure if it does r not but the pic. Of it didn't look like it had one. I just ordered a cheap one from ebay for now as long as it last about a year I want complain I'm just tired of looking at the stock manifold. Plan on a turbo latter but have to buy a piece at a time right now and just get the small stuff done till I have enough money to get a turbo worth a crap