Starting Issue

93integrainmo

So the other day my son left the lights on and killed the battery. We charged the battery and he has been driving the car for a few days, and this morning it wont start. I checked the battery and its charged. All of the guage lights come on, automatic seat belts work, but wont turn over at all. Anyone got a place for me to start. Thank you

TeggyRussE

DumDeeDum
Is the alternator charging? While the car is running check the voltage of the battery. It should be 13-14v. thats what id check first

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
if the alternator fails, the battery light will be on.

Bloodshots probably right. Those spade connectors are garbage.

93integrainmo

I tightened the spade connector and still nothin . When I am jumping the starter I am taking a wire from the spade connecter male end to the positive and it starts. Not from the bolt on the top of the solenoid

93integrainmo

So as it stands I replaced the starter and am at square one. when the key is turned all lights come on as normal, just dosent start. No clicking, nothing. I closed the spade connector and nothing changed. I can jump the starter by taking a wire from the positive battery terminal to the spade connector and the car starts. Where to go from here? All help is appreciated guys

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Jumping the starter proves the starter works. So the starter solenoid is not getting power from either the Main relay or ignition switch, I suspect the latter. Go to the back of the ignition switch in the steering column. Put a multimeter on the starter wire (Im not looking up which wire it is for you) and it should get battery voltage when you turn the key over to start. If not then you have a bad ignition switch.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Jumping the starter proves the starter works. So the starter solenoid is not getting power from either the Main relay or ignition switch, I suspect the latter. Go to the back of the ignition switch in the steering column. Put a multimeter on the starter wire (Im not looking up which wire it is for you) and it should get battery voltage when you turn the key over to start. If not then you have a bad ignition switch.
Not that he shouldn't look with stuff up himself but it's usually a black and white wire lol.

93integrainmo

I've got a Haynes manual. I was just looking for suggestions and people that have had the issue before. Thanks everybody