After snow, car won't start

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
I checked the volts on the primary and secondary coil with the key "on".
My battery is putting out +12V but..

Primary coil volts +7.5
Secondary coil volts +10.5

What the hell..

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Make sure there's no loose wires that came out of one of the plugs by the distributor. You said the engine cranks but won't start? My guess is the engine is flooded, probably a bad sensor. Sometimes the temperature sensors go out and when it gets really cold they cause the car to try and start super rich, so it just won't start. Sounds like whats happening.

Last edited:

Nick_C78

Aussie, volts don't kill you. Amps do. Battery has a lot of starting amps, especially if you complete the circuit.

I actually thought about the engine temp sensor, but he said no CEL I believe. Usually that one throws a cel when it won't start. Emphasis on usually.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Aussie, volts don't kill you. Amps do. Battery has a lot of starting amps, especially if you complete the circuit.
That's true but he's still not getting enough juice through a spark plug to hurt him. Why you would get shocked idk, but if anything it'd burn him.

Nick_C78

I have been shocked by cheap spark plug wires before. And trust me, once it goes through the coil you get some amps man. I had my other hand on the fender and I couldn't let go. I chalked it up to them just not insulating well.

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
Ok.. so.. I broke down and just bought a new dizzy from autozone. My car ran perfectly for the first day after I put it in. I just went out side to try and start the car to go to work, but no spark. WTF! At least it was a life-time warranty dizzy I got from them so I can get another, but, now we know that there is something else at fault.

I'm going to check my wires for resistance, my spark plugs for condition and my ground wires. Any thing else I should check? I'll look around on the net. Thanks for all your help so far guys, almost out of the woods.

Nick_C78

I have never had luck with autozone distributors. I just rebuild oem ones. Youll just have to keep swapping it until you get a working one. Their alternators are the same way. You just keep exchanging it until you get a good one.

Nick_C78

Maybe. Check the pins on the harness side of the dizzy plugs. Make sure none are popped out or loose or messed up in any way.

Inuyash274

Self Taught Noob
That's the first thing I checked, were the wires. I unplugged both harnesses and reattached them. I placed an order for a new dizzy, it should be in at 5 today. still looking at different things on the car, before I put it in though.