RSX Clutch smell... bad clutch or bad transmission?

nigori

In used RSX type S's I have test driven, several have had a burning smell from under the hood. It smells like burning rubber/metal, typically what I associate with a burning clutch. Is this likely the problem, or could it be a worse transmission problem. Most importantly, would a good mechanic be able to clearly diagnose such a problem before I decide to purchase the vehicle. Thanks.

DC_Five_Earl

In used RSX type S's I have test driven, several have had a burning smell from under the hood. It smells like burning rubber/metal, typically what I associate with a burning clutch. Is this likely the problem, or could it be a worse transmission problem. Most importantly, would a good mechanic be able to clearly diagnose such a problem before I decide to purchase the vehicle. Thanks.
Ask the owner of the car and see what past problems it had. Just don't buy it and find out it's a money pit.

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
you said several have done this?

wouldnt know what to tell you besides getting it inspected

Rich-PMS

how many miles were on them?
how did the clutch pedal feel?

nigori

it was under 80k miles. It feels like the clutch doesn't really want to push my foot....i.e. i feel like I kind of have to pull my foot up more while it's engaging, if that makes sense. Definitely several I've test driven smelled funky, but some definitely haven't, even with pushing the rpm's. I did crank it a little, but that's what type S's are for, and other's did not smell bad at all. Can a mechanic easily diagnose a worse transmission problem, if the clutch happens to be in ok shape?

Rich-PMS

only way to tell if the clutch is good/bad is to visually inspect it which you'd have to pull the trans off.

with your description it sounds more like the clutch is loosing is grip. it will smell a little, and have a soft pedal feel.
you can always adjust the pedal/CMC and pull more life out of the clutch