Tips for removing the rear motor mount?

vlsd

Ok so I have 1993 Integra LS, and I've been replacing the motor mounts, because they were shot to hell. Everything went fine (except for some bolts that required a bit of creative snaking around) except I just can't get the rear mount out. I removed all the bolts, both from the mount and from the bracket that connects it to the engine, everything is loose, but no matter how I wiggle and jiggle it, it won't come out. It seems like the two pieces are stuck in between the firewall, the transmission and the frame. Has anyone changed their rear mount on a 2nd gen? Any tips on how I get that stuff out (or in, for that matter)? Thanks!

1npink2nstink

Well sir, You have better pack a lunch cuz ur gonna be there for a while & go ahead & get out ur favorite profanity journal
Did u remove the mount from the bracket? On mine we had to but luckily i had the shop lift so i feel for you, this is my 1st teg so i really cant help all that much but i do remember after installing the motor i needed the front & rear mounts ....i paid for that one by not waiting to get the mounts first then install the motor. im sure theres a better way that sumbuddy knows but getting sum one to chime in is hit or miss on here

Remember...... Keep it Tight, if it's too tight- spit on it :lol:

vlsd

Did u remove the mount from the bracket?
I undid the bolt that connects the mount to the bracket, so now they're loose from each other, but I cannot remove the mount from the bracket, on account of there not being enough room in either direction. I really have no idea how they put it in there...

1npink2nstink

So u got the long bolt out plus the other 3 that hold it to the crossmember? If so its just a twistin & turnin & it still barely came out & barely went in bro, im climb under mine real quik ill get back to ya

vlsd

Yep, got all those out. Also removed the 3 crossmember bolts, and now that's loose, but still no dice. Just a whole bunch of rattling. I'll try and give it some more tugs, I guess...

Btw, thanks for your help!

Last edited:

1npink2nstink

u can take off the front mount by the radiator & see if u can Pry or tilt i'd rather not have u pry but see if that will help give sum room. Oh hello i forgot go from up top take of ur intake tube & snake it out its tight but it'll come out

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
i just take off the T Bracket and then the motor mount, not a lot of room but its the most effective

vlsd

Ok, so I removed the air intake tube, gave me some more space to see what's going on, but after another hour of pulling and rattling that mount in there I am exhausted. It really seems impossible.

By T Bracket you mean the part that connects the mount to the engine, right? I removed all the bolts from it, so now both the mount and the bracket are loose (and separate). The mount won't come out because it's tightly confined between the bracket, the subframe and the firewall. The bracket won't come out because it's stuck between the mount, the subframe and the engine. If either part were out the other would come out easily, but as it is I am at my wits' end.

jbrown97ls

If its anything like the 3rd gen, which I'm sure it is, you'll fight it forever an then it will just magically come out. I put my driver and passenger in first with my engine swap and did the rear mount last. If all the bolts are out, try taking the mount and bracket out at the same time? I had to set the mount in the bracket when putting the mount in.

mirrorimg

So you did the driver's side and passenger's side already? If youre daring you could put a jack under the motor with the mounts loosened or out and push it around a bit to give you more room. If you have an engine lift, or can borrow one, you can use that instead of the dangerous jack method.

If you do use a jack, you will need a 2x4 or something to help distribute the force on the pan, or else you will dent it.

1npink2nstink

Get a pry bar & pop that mount out of the bracket you'll probly have to put a bolt back in the bracket to the sub so as to hold it while u pop the mount out of the bracket. It should separate & u should be good. Go from up top, leave the big bracket alone & just finesse the mount only up threw the hoses & crap. If u have to remove a couple hoses & the fuel filter so be it, but now i think about it im positive thats how we got mine out & in. Its just too tight from underneath plus ur layin on the ground- makes it 100x harder You need to bolt the bracket back up now, get underneath & take a pry bar & pop that damn mount out of the bracket sir!! It WILL come out from the top! Its just stuck in the bracket cuz its always a tight ass fit u dont need to take the bracket out anyway, just the mount.

& Yes the T-Bracket is that big piece that mounts to the subframe
The motor mount sets inside the t-bracket then u put that long bolt threw it which then ties the t-bracket to the actual motor mount

Last edited:

SteelerDan

Hi, I JUST finished doing this No Lift, and did not take off intake.

I removed the half shafts, the half shaft extension, the mount that supports the intake manifold, And the PVC chamber.
After that, it came right out. and all of that stuff was easy to get to as well.

I might add, that I had my exhaust cross over(under) pipe out, the lower cross member in order to take my oil pan off, and my rack and pinion out too (don't think the rack will make any difference)
the think is, it is possible. and the hardest part was getting the bolts out of the mount itself, (upside down and very hard to reach) Good Luck!