Car squeaks when going over bumps. Bushings or ball joints?

jayyjayy88

Hi guys i drive a 2000 acura integra ls. I've always noticed it squeaks while going over speed bumps in parking lots, etc. I've read its either the ball joints or bushings. How can i tell which is the issue? I've had the car for about 8 years and while I've had it I've never replaced either. What is the difference between both in simple terms (if you guys dont mind explaining them). Also, what are some good brands or recommendations to go with? This is just a daily driver car. No track time or any of that sort. Thank ou guys in advance!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
honestly you should replace them all. I would do OEM bushings and ball joints. if the squeak comes form the front could be ball joint, if not its a bushing. You can tell if its a ball joint by jacking it up and grabing the wheel at 3 and 9 and rocking it back and forth. If you have play (other than moving the steering rack) ball joints are dead. ball joint failure is bad. Oem or moog ball joints would be great, and any rubber bushing or oem would be a good alternative.

jayyjayy88

honestly you should replace them all. I would do OEM bushings and ball joints. if the squeak comes form the front could be ball joint, if not its a bushing. You can tell if its a ball joint by jacking it up and grabing the wheel at 3 and 9 and rocking it back and forth. If you have play (other than moving the steering rack) ball joints are dead. ball joint failure is bad. Oem or moog ball joints would be great, and any rubber bushing or oem would be a good alternative.

Thank you for the info. Any other thing you would recommend replacing while that is being done? What i should have replaced is my lca bushings and ball joints (if needed) right? I also see shock bushing listed (using autozone for reference). This would get rid of the squeaking right?

Thank you for your help, you helped me with my camber kit few years ago lol.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
could also be compliance bushing, upper control arm, top mount bushing, trailing arm, or the toe bushing.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
It becomes a slipery slope, if you end up doing the trailing arm, i would just replace all the rear bushings since they all come out.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
i still compete in it yes, i dont really wrench on it anymore besides doing an oil change once a year or an alignment. Its been the same for about maybe 3 years minus safety stuff. Hopefully we will be doing big things soon.