Auto Transmission Fluid

PioneerLS

wait one question, if i ask them to drain and replace or whatever, would i have to take it back after a couple hundred miles and have it done again? i foudn a place that would do it for 140.

phatintegra

Banned
wait one question, if i ask them to drain and replace or whatever, would i have to take it back after a couple hundred miles and have it done again? i foudn a place that would do it for 140.
No, I do mine every 60K . You can do it yourself it's just a drain bolt. If you ever done an oil change yourself. It's almost the same thing minus a filter.

97IntegraGS

What's with everyone underestimating autos lol. anyways I found a box of fluid on ebay for 50 bucks if anybody is looking :thumbs up:

PioneerLS

well autos are kind of bad i mean, no vtec, cant build on it, you know :p not a bad car but doesnt have much of a future in the tuning world. AND ANOTHER QUESTION!

So whenever i start off and dont let the car warm up, whenever its about to shift out of first gear it just doesnt shift for about 2 seconds. It just kinda loses power and after 2 seconds it kinda jerks into 2nd. But if its warmed up it doesnt do that and its only in that first gear switch... what could be the problem?

j13

Keep It Clean
Nothing wrong about driving an auto teg, they smoke sohc 5spd civics all day.

I did this:
Drain and Fill method.
Takes 9 quarts to do it.
Drain the tranny(only 3 quarts will come out but there is more stuck in other places)
Put 3 fresh quarts back in.
Take for qick ride, make sure you shift through all the gears( this will get it mixing)
drain 3 again- fill 3 again
take it around the block
drain last 3 quarts-fill last 3 quarts.
By this time you should pretty much have new fluid in it. I think this is the best way. Any other can chime in also...

I think its like near 200 bucks for honda dealer to do it, but if you do it yourself its less than 90..honda atf is around 7bucks. And its easyer than changing oil- just one tranny bolt.
best advice

PioneerLS

^ thanks, im probably going to do it by myself following that, and can anyone hlep me with the gear shifting issue?

phatintegra

Banned
^ thanks, im probably going to do it by myself following that, and can anyone hlep me with the gear shifting issue?
See if the fluid change help first then report back to see if it still happen again.I heard Lucas oil helps allot with the gearing inside the transmission but I have no experience with Lucas oil, Since I always use Honda ATF in mine since I'm picky but then again I have a JDM SIR-G trans in mine.

PioneerLS

Yeah i heard about lucas, ill look into it. So i just do the drain method one time and then its all good? Cause i heard for some changes you need to do it a few times over the course of a month or something, i dont really know...

phatintegra

Banned
Always use the Z1. I don't know anything about the DW1. Sorry some one can shine some light on what is the different.

EDIT
I know the different after reading a few post thru google. Apparently the Z1 is discontinued so the DW1 is available.

Last edited:

PioneerLS

Thanks, but still this question: So whenever i start off and dont let the car warm up, whenever its about to shift out of first gear it just doesnt shift for about 2 seconds. It just kinda loses power and after 2 seconds it kinda jerks into 2nd. But if its warmed up it doesnt do that and its only in that first gear shift... what could be the problem?
And how much should i be paying per quart?

PioneerLS

alright so i figured out that the fluid is low, i went and bought 9 quarts for 75 dollars, drain and refilling it 3 times tomorrow.