obd2 ls catch can

drekollister

ok guys i have a 95 ls with a obd2 b18b1 meaning is doesnt have the black box so the pcv valve in up top on the valve cover. my question is how do i ventilate the crank case pressure with a sealed catch can. ive been trying to search this but cant find anything for a b18b1 obd2. please and thank you in advance

Muckman

Not a M0derator
The same way you would if you had the breather box. Route PCV hose into catch can. Allow catch can to breath to atmosphere by leaving the other port open on the can. Thats it.

drekollister

nvm just kidding i understand now idk what i was thinking. gonna take the two ports on the valve cover hollow out the pcv sinc eit fits in the hole nice and t them together. plug the im port and the run it to one side of the catch can. thanks alot muckman

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You CAN route the catch can output port to pre turbo. It aids in evac of crankcase pressure however you will ingest some oil vapor and stuff that is generally bad for combustion. The catch can will trap some but not all. I prefer to vent it to atmosphere.

Ditch the PCV fitting all together and get a 90* barb fitting from the hardware store. It will flow more than hallowing out the existing PCV fitting.

Also some people remove the 14mm hex plug on the back of the block (where the black box would be) and put a second hose to the catch can for additional venting. Youd need to get a fitting for that.

drekollister

for the back of the block venting are you talking about the fitting they use off the preludes? ive read somthing about them draining oil out of the engine do to their location or maybe that was the freeze plugs.

do you have a link to a barb fitting your talking about? not sure how to fit a fitting into that hole.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Just a regular plastic barb fitting and a rubber grommet.

Like this but in the breather box. Similar example.

More extreme, but you get the idea. Do that in place of your existing PCV.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
In that case both hoses from the black box would go to the catch can. I assume its for extra flow bc the port on the back of the block is so much larger than the single hose. Thats not my picture so Im only guessing.

drekollister

ok cool im just gonna do the vetilation from the head for now since its not s high hp set up or alot of boost. thanks alot for clearing it up for me

drekollister

What does the barb for the old pcv look like and where do I get it I went to lowes and oreilys and they didn't have anything.