Need help with valves

89Dohc

alrite now heres the thing to keep it short, was driving around 40-45 and timing belt broke. changed the timing belt and water pump and timed everything rite, turned it on and yes worst thing possible is my valves are bent.. now i wanna know if i can change my valves without taking off the head???? and the most important thing is how willl i know which valve is good and not???? or will i have to buy a whole new motor for my 1989 integra rs:(:(:(:(

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
You have to remove the head to remove the valves.

The possibilities are....

Your whole engine is totaled.

Your valves are bent.

Your pistons are damaged.

Your valve guides are damaged.

Now. Next time you should of had a new timing belt. I've never had a belt ever break on me.

If you do not use timing belt covers the slightest tiniest tiniest rock or scrap that flies in between the belt and the gears will snap it.
This is why is rather have cam and timing belt covers than be too cool and not have them.

Which brings up another point, I see cars all over craigslist with broken belts because of this.

You can either buy a whole new used engine for 3-400.

Or spend more money trying to fix it.

Pistons can be had used on ebay for cheap, valves maybe.

Your better off checking your local junkyard is my suggestion.

Bolt it in and drive off.

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Jesus Christ Don, have him do a simple compression test to figure out what cylinder (if any) is leaking air. That's a very simple method to determine if a valve is bent. And there is a good chance none are bent on a non vtec engine.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Jesus Christ Don, have him do a simple compression test to figure out what cylinder (if any) is leaking air. That's a very simple method to determine if a valve is bent. And there is a good chance none are bent on a non vtec engine.
Idk, it's worth a shot.

With my luck all the engines I've pulled apart going at highway speeds all have bent valves.

Nick_C78

Do testing to confirm a problem before spending money and ripping it apart? Blasphemy. Assuming is always better....

I have a counter for you Don. All the engines I've pulled apart that had failed belts were fine...worked on 5 motors that snapped timing belts and all 5 were fine.