Urgent overheating issue!

AlphaWolf1993

Car was smoking at header and exhaust so I pulled head and found that two head studs were apparently loose and caused a failed HG issue. I fixed this and replaced HG and now the problem seems even worse! The car produces a noticeable amount of white smoke from exhaust and after ~30 seconds the header begins to smoke as well as from behind the motor. Coolant is full, Oil is fresh. I checked the oil cap and it's milky already...I have no idea what to do. The fan is not currently hooked up, but I don't see how that would let the car overheat within a few seconds. Also, a brand new head gasket, torqued down to spec shouldn't be leaking coolant...guys I really need some help here, this is ridiculous. I haven't even gotten to break this thing in!

Ganyon

The head and or block are probably warped. Did you use the same headstuds? If so, they probably aren't holding.

AlphaWolf1993

They're brand new ARP studs, guess I'll pull the head, again, and send it to the machine shop. Is there a good way I can check the block myself? I assume just use something like a level and check in along it axis'

Ganyon

That all sounds like a good idea. Not sure how you check the block though.

osiris19

Precision traight edge and a feeler will work. Diagonally, width, and lengthwise. Should be no more than 0.004 difference in any part I believe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Why would it be smoking at the exhaust manifold? was coolant shooting out of the head gasket onto it?

AlphaWolf1993

No, no visible leakage onto the manifold. There was some oil on the bottom near the collector, but when I checked, that wasn't where that smoke was coming from. I really didn't understand it either.

Sent from my refrigerator

Dc5user

It could be a lot of problems like your thermostat, water pump, and bleeding the radiator....

Sometimes it's not about the car, it's about who's driving it ;)

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
Chances are.... Your just burning off old oil and coolant that spilled on your block/exhaust from removing the head.

When dropping the exhaust you could've cracked/bent your bolts to the cat. These bolts are held on by springs where rust is fairly common, weakening the bolts. You could have an exhaust leak by just dropping your exhaust manifold.

When replacing your headgasket, coolant must be flushed immediately before removing the head. Coolant will pour into the crankcase. Causing your radiator cap to collect milk.

Oil must be flushed immediately after a headgasket job, change the filter while your at it.

Arp studs must be installed in correct order. Moly lube on threads > hand tighten > install gasket and dowel pins > then install head > torque arp studs in sequence according to factory specs followed by arp specs.

Arp studs have a recommended 3 torque sequence. An example is 10 in oem pattern, then 20 in oem pattern and then 30 in and then 30 in oem pattern. Remember, this is an example.

Arp studs are one of the great but just like regular head bolts. They can only be retorqued so many times before they need to be replaced. Please refer to arp specs.

Whole your head is off if you wish to reinstall another new headgasket, change your valve stem seals whole the head is off. This will make for a more pleasant experience.

Please purchase a helms/chilton manual for reference or download it off the internet doesn't really matter.

Installing valve stem seals requires a lot of know how and patience. Installing them wrong will warrant removing your cams and springs again because you will be pouring oil into your cylinders if you fucked up.

Let us know how your adventure goes. Good luck.

AlphaWolf1993

Tested thermostat, it works. Water pump is not leaking and seems to be working fine. I felt the hoses as it ran earlier and there is little to no fluid movement in the hoses and they are soft.

cvcrcr99

Temp sensor wire not touching a ground, right? If so, the temp would rise if the key is in and the engine is off I presume

AlphaWolf1993

So checked block and head, both level, not even .001 warpage. New gasket and.... Still smoking. What the fuck guys.

AlphaWolf1993

Could lack of water flow or improper hoses cause excess pressure that would do this? I'm really grasping at straws right now