Urgent overheating issue!

AlphaWolf1993

I also just realized I had no dowels between the head or block, would this cause a similar problem? I'm really really trying to find something that doesn't make this a cracked head or block issue. The sleeves and head look fine thought

Sent from my refrigerator

Muckman

Not a M0derator
What do you think happens if the head gasket is askew from the mating surface of the block and head? Do you think it seals good?

AlphaWolf1993

Nah I know it wouldn't be perfect as intended, I just didn't know if being off by 1-2 mm would necessarily cause it. I saw the passages lined up with the gasket and whatnot and just didn't think about it. But I can see how having pressure behind it could cause the gasket to shift since it has "wiggle room". I already ordered the dowel pins from Honda, so hopefully that's it

AlphaWolf1993

Dowel pins in. Head and block perfectly flat. New coolant and oil. Water lines run properly. Slight white smoke at idle, gets a little thicker when revved, smells like coolant. Header still smokes after about a minute of idle. Oil cap still coming out milky on bottom. However, the exhaust smoke is much much lighter than it was. I'm running out of ideas, should I try something like stop leak? I'm gonna run it for a minute tomorrow and pull the header to make sure there's no liquid going into it... It did get much better with the dowel pins though Muckman

dlo253

Nah I know it wouldn't be perfect as intended, I just didn't know if being off by 1-2 mm would necessarily cause it. I saw the passages lined up with the gasket and whatnot and just didn't think about it. But I can see how having pressure behind it could cause the gasket to shift since it has "wiggle room". I already ordered the dowel pins from Honda, so hopefully that's it

1-2mm is quite a lot when we're talking about the inside of a motor....

AlphaWolf1993

That got fixed, I didn't think about it since the gasket had opening aligned for the ports. But yeah, it's better now

AlphaWolf1993

Also, thermostat works but I can't figure out why the top radiator hose has a lot of pressure and gets warm while the lower hose has little/no pressure and is cool

AlphaWolf1993

Ran it and pulled exhaust manifold, each port is slightly wet, not coolant and oil though, more like just oil and manifold is dry, really confused with this damn thing. Just had head machined and super tech valve train installed and machine shop said head was good, so Idk where there could be a leak. I thought the smoke might have come from this but I don't believe it's related. Could it be break-in causing anything?

Nick_C78

This might be a stupid question, but are you draining the oil and the coolant each time you take the head off or just the coolant? I know a lot of people who leave the oil in the block after changing head gasket, but that is very very bad and likely your problem if that's the case. The oil cap being milky made me think out this.

jbrown97ls

This might be a stupid question, but are you draining the oil and the coolant each time you take the head off or just the coolant? I know a lot of people who leave the oil in the block after changing head gasket, but that is very very bad and likely your problem if that's the case. The oil cap being milky made me think out this.

Guilty of this . Good question though!

AlphaWolf1993

I didn't the last time. And I think that would be the milky issue because I unfolded the cat back from the header and no white smoke, so I think that just may be trapped water in the exhaust getting hot, however the radiator is getting very hot so I may need to check the water pump.