Reverse Lights Don't LIght Up

McMahon

JackTuned
I've already replaced the bulbs with extras that I had and I checked the fuse. What else could it be..?

Relay? If so, where is that located? Maybe a DIY thread?

vonnyvegas

Finger Tapping With Fury!
Time to get DIRTY!

Well personally, I always check for power with a test light at the light bulb socket because well, you don't need new bulbs if they're not getting power. I've had the same problem with my integra. More than likely its the reverse switch on the transmission. Simply with age and type of switch it is, if it doesn't get good contact it won't make the lights come on. If you have no test light or anyway of testing like that, just grab a buddy with eyesight, turn the car to the ON position (engine not running obviously), shift into reverse (e-brake or wheel chalks on), and crawl underneath and gently jiggle the switch around to give it better contact and when your buddy tells you the lights are on, you have found the source of your problems buddy. Same testing whether automatic or manual. If you want pictures or even more detailed fix lemme know. hope this helps!

McMahon

JackTuned
Well personally, I always check for power with a test light at the light bulb socket because well, you don't need new bulbs if they're not getting power. I've had the same problem with my integra. More than likely its the reverse switch on the transmission. Simply with age and type of switch it is, if it doesn't get good contact it won't make the lights come on. If you have no test light or anyway of testing like that, just grab a buddy with eyesight, turn the car to the ON position (engine not running obviously), shift into reverse (e-brake or wheel chalks on), and crawl underneath and gently jiggle the switch around to give it better contact and when your buddy tells you the lights are on, you have found the source of your problems buddy. Same testing whether automatic or manual. If you want pictures or even more detailed fix lemme know. hope this helps!
Where is the switch that needs to be "jiggled"?

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
Where is the switch that needs to be "jiggled"?
check the reverse sensor on the trans, take the clip off and jump the power wire(green i think) to see if they light up, if they don't it must be the fuse or sockets.

vonnyvegas

Endo's method will be more of a sure fire way to determine whats bad. If you've got a manual trans the switch is on the lower front of the transmission. easiest to see underneath but from the top is kinda possible as well. I'll go take a pic if you can't find it but not unless you want.

McMahon

JackTuned
Endo's method will be more of a sure fire way to determine whats bad. If you've got a manual trans the switch is on the lower front of the transmission. easiest to see underneath but from the top is kinda possible as well. I'll go take a pic if you can't find it but not unless you want.
A pic would be great. I'm stuck at work til late so I cant even check until tomorrow.

/e Yes, its a 5speed.

vonnyvegas

I haven't figured out how to upload a picture onto these threads from my phone so email me (vonnyvegas@gmail.com) so I got your address and i'll just email you the pic. more than likely the switch is the problem especially if both bulbs aren't working. I assume you don't have a test light?

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Email the picture to yourself, then save it to your computer and upload to image shack

Copy the tags for image in a forum from there, and plop it in your post. Yes, I said plop.

vonnyvegas

[/URL][/IMG]

This is from underneath on passenger side this is the reverse switch try moving the wires around and really making sure you have a good connection. If the lights still don't come on then follow the wires up the transmission to the connector, unplug and with the shifter in reverse check the two terminals for continuity.
[/URL][/IMG]

If there is no continuity then the back-up light switch is bad. If there is continuity then check for power to the switch. Hope this helps

Last edited:

Jack Rot

Im having this problem, im trying to pull the switch but its not budging, im afraid to pull to hard and break it, it seems to have a water sealing piece of rubber over it....anyone overcome this issue?

seahtech

Here are some pics that should help you out... Dont tell Acura or im screwed hehe :)

Here is the test...

Here is the schematic...

Here is switch replacement...

And here is switch location...

If you need more let me know lol Or if you need help reading the schematic.

Jack Rot

You are a god in the eyes of a meer mortal. Lol, I will try all of this again tomorrow, the switch might need replacing.:/

stallion

This happened to me. I have a '94 RS and BOTH back up lights didn't work. I changed the bulbs, nothing. Checked the fuse under the dash, and it was intact so I found this very thread which said if both lights don't work then it's most likely the back up light switch which is located on the passenger side of the transmission. I don't even have access to a lift and I don't have a jack, but I was able to find it (my RS suspension is stock height, no drop, so I am able to get my head under the bumper). Just poke your head under the front bumper directly in front of the front, right wheel, and you will see it. It's screwed into the side of the transmission. I just used a basic adjustable wrench and was able to unscrew it (the transmission end of the switch, the part that screws into the side of the transmission, had a bunch of gunk all over it and the area so it helps to clean the area with a towel to get a better handle on the bolt/plug with the wrench). Then you follow the wire up toward the middle/top of the engine, remove it and unplug the connector. Insert your new switch, turn the ignition to the "on" position, but don't start the car, put it in reverse and take a look at the magic in the rear. Then raise your arms in victory and maybe do a little, "my two white back up lights work" dance. Well, that's what I did.

Last edited: