Detailing FAQ's

speedin

The Transporter
Ok, well ive seen that alot of people here work in bodyshops, or have alot of experience with good cleaning/waxing techniques. Well I can clean it well, but have no clue how to wax or clay bar? I can do the cheap waxes, but the result isnt much better than how I started. Another issue is buffing, I pay people $100 to do it for me. But I know it can be DIY. Anyone have experience with buffing? I have heard buffing horror stories! Maybe post some step-by step instructions? Also Dent tricks can be put here

So lets see some nice step-by-step write-ups on how to do it and products to use. If the write-up is good enough ill make it all seperate for you, and sticky status.

Ill start with my trick I know. (will add better pix later)

This is a paint-less dent removal trick. For all those small dings in metal
*note works only on metals*

TOOLS:
--- Heat-gun or Blow-dryer
--- A good amount of Dry-Ice (can be found at most grocery stores, just ask for it)
--- Good THICK pair of gloves
--- Thin cloth

PROCEDURE:
1: It is best done in open sun or hot weather. The hotter your cars metal is the better
2: Use Heat-gun or Blow-dryer and heat around the dent (you dont want the metal to get too hot to hurt anything, so use judgement)
3: With gloves on grab a piece of dry ice.
4: Wrap the ice in the thin cloth as not to damage the paint.
5: Place the dry ice by the outside of the dent
6: Circle the outside of the dent SLOWLY with the dry ice (if you do it correctly the car will start frosting in that area)
7: Slowly work your way inward toward the dent (use a spiral motion)
8: After you get to the center step back to observe the results
9: Some dents may require you to repeat the process

*Also keep in mind. Dents that are on bends, or in very tight areas (not alot of FLAT metal around them) May not work as well*

This works ALOT better than the crappy "Pop-a-dent" things with suction cups you can buy. Not to mention any left over dry ice can be used for dry ice "Thing that goes boom." But you really shouldnt do that of course. Because its bad, UM-KAY? Ill also get pix of this on my car when I get the chance :)

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
Wax on, wax off. lol

I might have to do a write up later on when i get bored... I do detailing for a living right now! lol, usually take about 4-5 hours on a already "clean" car finding dirt in places you'd never imagine. maybe if i get bored. lol

speedin

The Transporter
98PAITR said:
Ive heard about that. I wanted to try but dry ice is hard to find.
A grocery store will have it. Its in the back. So wheres all out body guys here? Lets see some of your knowledge

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
98PAITR said:
Ive heard about that. I wanted to try but dry ice is hard to find.
The Randalls grocery stores all sell it around here. I've always wanted to try it to see how effective it is but the only dent I need fixed is probably beyond the capabilities of this, although I'm not sure.

speedin

The Transporter
dc2GS-R said:
The Randalls grocery stores all sell it around here. I've always wanted to try it to see how effective it is but the only dent I need fixed is probably beyond the capabilities of this, although I'm not sure.
Worth a try for a few bucks

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
It's a pretty nice dent. It's on top of my passenger side fender just above my front wheel on the GST. Lots of curvature there! I wish it would work though since there is nothing wrong with the paint and no scratches or cracks on it

R1DC2

Got Integra?
There are actually stages when it comes to exterior detailing... Before you clay you of course need to prep your car. Here is a simple and easy 5 step detailing guide I personally created when it comes to doing a perfect detail: 8)

• Wash

• Clay

• Paint Cleaning

• Polish

• Sealant and Wax

You can use a orbital buffer or your hand when applying polish or wax. I recommend using a Porter Cable 7424.
With this machine you can get the most out of your cars paint. Not only it will make your car's paint look wet and stand out, it will also remove oxidation and swirl marks.

Examples>>>
Swirlmarks<<<
Before:

After:

Oxidation<<<
Before and After:

When finish, your final result can end up looking like this:

Here are some good detailing sites to look into:::
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/
http://detailcity.org/
http://www.autopia.org/

Here are good places I shop at personally::: "Its not ur ordinary Wax Products"
http://autogeek.net/
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/index.html
http://www.perfecar.com/index.php

This is my favorite systemI like to use to have the best result:

*Washing --- Poorboys Super Slick & Wax Car Shampoo
*Spray Wax --- Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951
*Clay Bar --- Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit
*Paint Cleaner --- P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
*Polishes --- XMT System
*Sealants --- Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
*Carnaubas --- Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax
*Wheel --- DP Wheel Glaze
*Tire --- Meguiars Gold Class Endurance Tire Protectant Gel (Matte)

My detailed pics:

But for beginners: Claying your car and using Meguiar's Deep Crystal System is a still great, you wont be disappointed :D

Hope i helped out! :p 8)

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Dayum, I use the new ICE wax everytime i wash my car, but I buff it every month or so with a very light rubbing compound man that comes out nice

speedin

The Transporter
I have some issues with mine through, wondering if buffing or something can help..

Water marks:

Fading (note where rear bumper meets 1/4 pannel):

Spider Cracks:

Sticker Fading??:

Looks like when I pulled a sticker off some of the clear came with it?:

These are what im tring to fix. Any ideas on what will fix any of these? Becides a re-paint.

R1DC2

Got Integra?
experimenting with that porter cable 7424 and some detailing supplies can help, hide, and fix those areas you pointed out.... www.autogeekonline.net has alot of useful information, where members in that forums have those kinds of problems you mentioned...